Everyone wants a lush and even lawn that makes every visitor praise it. The only way to achieve that, however, is to take care of it consistently.
With the best lawn rollers, you can tend for any lawn and make it the most enticing in the neighborhood. They will save you time and effort. And more importantly, they will make the whole lawn job a lot more enjoyable.
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks for Lawn Rollers
- Brinly PRC-24BH Combination Push/Tow Lawn Roller – Our Top Pick
- Agri-Fab 45-0267 Poly Push/Tow Lawn Roller
- TACKLIFE HR60L Tow Behind Lawn Roller
- Goplus Tow Behind Lawn Roller
- Precision Products PLR1836 Tow Behind Lawn Roller
You need the ideal lawn roller for that, though. That’s why we’re going to show you some of the highest-quality models and how you can pick the ideal one according to your needs.
So, are you ready to learn all you need before making your last pick? Check the article below!
7 Best Lawn Rollers Reviews in 2022
With so many options available in the market, choosing a lawn roller that gets the job done can be challenging. To save you the time and effort of looking for one, we’ve assembled a list of the 7 lawn rollers everyone should consider. Check them up:
|Brinly PRC-24BH Combination Push/Tow Lawn Roller||• Edgeless sides prevent buildup|
• Takes little to no effort to fill
|Agri-Fab 45-0267 Poly Push/Tow Lawn Roller||• Can reach over 400 pounds when filled|
• Boasts the sturdier drum build
|TACKLIFE HR60L Tow Behind Lawn Roller||• The sponge handle adds grips and comfort|
• Fills up and drains rapidly
|Goplus Tow Behind Lawn Roller||• Comfortable & easy to maneuver|
• Steel construction lasts a lifetime
|Precision Products PLR1836 Tow Behind Lawn Roller||• Edgeless borders prevent grass buildup|
• High-quality drum withstands heavy use
|Kapler Tow Behind Lawn Roller||• Simple & easy-to-use design|
• Sturdy & rust-resistant build
|Outsunny Combination Push/Tow Lawn Roller||• Boasts an extra-solid drum|
• Works perfectly for small lawns
1. Brinly PRC-24BH Combination Push/Tow Lawn Roller
- NEW Easy-Turn Plug: Brinly Rollers now feature a new drum plug design, making filling and emptying your roller quicker and easier than ever
- Push/Pull Combination: Convenient push or tow-behind design provides versatility for rolling tight areas or larger open spaces. Perfect tool for erasing lawn damage from moles and frost, or packing down loose dirt, seed, or sod.
Leveling out your lawn will never be as easy as it is with the PRC-24BH. There’s simply no competitor. That’s why it’s our first choice.
At 28 gallons of water capacity and weighing over 270 pounds when filled, it can flatten out any yard. And if you fill it with sand, it will flatten out even the toughest of grasses or weeds instantly.
The Easy-Turn plug makes filling and emptying a no-brainer, regardless of whether you use water, sand, or an alternative.
Its quality polypropylene construction also sets the roller apart. It withstands practically anything you throw at it without denting, rusting, or melting from the sun. You can expect this roller to last a decade with proper usage.
Despite its exceptional build and capacity, it still manages to be a practical roller. You can push or pull as necessary, yet the exciting part comes from the easy-storage design. It weighs a few pounds and can be hanged anywhere – saving you a lot of time and effort.
And lastly, you can always hook it to your ATV, ZTR, or tractor for an even more enjoyable yard-rolling experience.
- Edgeless sides prevent buildup
- Takes little to no effort to fill
- Works as a pulling or pushing roller
- It’s large enough for any compacting job
- It’s a bit difficult to assemble
2. Agri-Fab 45-0267 Poly Push/Tow Lawn Roller
- CAPACITY: 250 lbs. when filled with water
- STORAGE: Lightweight when empty, for easy transport and storage
Big and super-heavy to flatten even the most stubborn grasses, the 45-0267 from Agri-Fab is an 18-by-24 inches roller for those who want nothing less than fantastic quality.
Its size is not what you’ll like the most, but its 250-pound capacity. When thoroughly filled, it can be heavier than most people – making it an undeniably effective way to even out any garden.
Surprisingly, it is extra-light when empty. Considering it can also be disassembled and draining it out doesn’t take much effort, you can guess it won’t be much of a problem to store and bring around.
Although it is highly convenient, the roller can take a beating. The poly construction resists practically anything, going from scorching sun rays to the most extreme of weather conditions. And it won’t show a single scratch or sign of rust.
This roller also comes with a hitch you can attach to any tractor, RV, or mower. Regardless of your demands, this Agri-Fab lawn roller won’t let you down.
- Can reach over 400 pounds when filled
- Boasts the sturdier drum build
- It’s a no-brainer to fill and drain
- Comes with a practical hitch/handle design
- The hitch can be problematic
3. TACKLIFE HR60L Tow Behind Lawn Roller
Save yourself some pain with the most comfortable lawn roller on the list. The HR60L from Tacklife is the only alternative with a sponge handle and an ergonomic design, ideal for pushing and pulling around fatigue-free.
This gets even easier when you consider it is a decently compact lawn roller. At only 16-gallon of water capacity, it can get to over 133 pounds of weight, ensuring an easy operation.
The 16-by-20-inch size may not work for the biggest lawns. But because it is compact, it weighs as low as 25 pounds when empty. This adds up to its convenience, making it a piece of cake to store.
Draining and filling is a no-brainer too. And with the well-designed drum, it will rarely damage your grass.
Last but not least, it doesn’t get stuck with debris and dirt. The smooth and issue-free design reduces the cleaning and maintenance.
- The sponge handle adds grips and comfort
- Fills up and drains rapidly
- Comes at an unbeatable price
- It is a piece of cake to store
- The small design makes it too light for some jobs
4. Goplus Tow Behind Lawn Roller
- 🌱🌱Durable Robust Steel Structure: Crafted of high-quality steel frame, the sod roller features high strength and great sturdiness for worry-free use. Additionally, the surface has been treated with powder-coated finish to prevent rust, which makes sure it can accompany you for many years.
- 🌱🌱17 Gallons Large Capacity: The lawn roller comes with a large capacity filling port that can hold up to 17 gallons of water or sand to increase its own weight, helping you get the job done more efficiently. Moreover, there is a drainage plug at the side of the drum for easy filling and emptying.
Considering its size, the Tow-Behind roller from Goplus is the cheapest choice you’ll find. At 12 by 36 inches, it is large enough to handle over 240 pounds of sand and 165 pounds of water. For its price, this is a bargain you shouldn’t overlook.
The price of the roller comes mainly from the steel cylinder. Steel construction with spray treatment prevents even the harshest of environments from causing rust. Also, you can expect it to never dent or bent, even when used consistently for years.
Despite its steel build, it is not a heavy roller as you may think. It weighs only a few pounds and boasts a handlebar that allows easy moving and storage.
This U-shaped handle is comfy enough to save you some pain. And with its sturdy build, it will help you maneuver the roller a lot more easily, regardless of the terrain.
The best about this roller is the straightforward drain plug. It lets you fill and drain with outstanding ease, so you won’t have to waste any effort or time.
- Super-wide cylinder covers a lot of ground
- Steel construction lasts a lifetime
- Comfortable & easy to maneuver
- Fills and drains quickly
- The assembly takes more time than it should
5. Precision Products PLR1836 Tow Behind Lawn Roller
Need a big roller for your colossal yard? Then look no further. The PLR1836 saves you a lot of time by providing the largest lawn rollers in the market – incredibly useful if your yard is decently big.
At 18-by-36 inches, it is wide and large, letting over 40 gallons of water in and weighing over 390 pounds. It doesn’t matter how thick your grass is. This roller will flatten it out in seconds.
It’s worth mentioning the polyethylene construction, sturdy enough to handle years of use. The exciting part comes from the powder-coated steel in the handle/hitch, helping to carry and maneuver the roller without any breakage.
The design of the drum comes with another advantage: it has side-molded spokes. This prevents even the trickiest of dirt and debris from getting stuck, so you don’t have to waste any time cleaning it up.
And if all that wasn’t enough, you get a multi-compatible hitch that attaches to any tractor, ATV, or mower without a single issue.
- Edgeless borders prevent grass buildup
- High-quality drum withstands heavy use
- Comes in various sizes and capacities
- The filling plug never leaks
- Only works as a pull roller with vehicles
6. Kapler Tow Behind Lawn Roller
- Push/Pull feature: U-handle for comfortable lawn roller pull and push use, the lawn roller frost heave and can also help pack down loose dirt and newly sewn seed or sod for a perfect looking lawn.
- Convenience Design: The lawn roller handles that hold back for easy storage, plus a scraper bar that ensures any loose debris is not rolled back into the lawn, rounded garden lawn roller end caps for a smooth tractor turn without damaging the lawn. Sturdy poly lawn roller water filled drum won't dent or rust, and resists weather damage for use season after season, durable.
A simple lawn roller that gets the job done costs less than its competitors and still manages to be practical enough for any job. The Kapler tow-behind roller has it all.
First, you will find the large 24-by-12 inches cylinder to be perfect for any rolling demands. Capable of holding 13 gallons of water and weighing over 100 pounds, it can compact almost any grass effortlessly.
Second, it is super comfy and easy to operate. A U-shaped handle saves you any pain or discomfort. And more importantly, you can decide whether you want to pull or push it – with no change in ease of use.
Third, you get a detachable design. You can take the handles apart from the roller to store them more easily. This also saves a lot of space.
And fourth, it has a super-sturdy polyethylene drum that withstands any use. Even after years, you’ll find the cylinder to be almost like new (no rusting or denting).
If all that wasn’t enough, it is still one of the cheapest. It offers practically everything without breaking your wallet.
- Simple & easy-to-use design
- Sturdy & rust-resistant build
- Allows pulling or pushing
- Easy to assemble & disassemble
- It’s a bit hard to maneuver when filled
7. Outsunny Combination Push/Tow Lawn Roller
- ROLLS GARDEN EFFECTIVELY: Our push and tow-behind design of the drum roller provides versatility for flattening both tight areas and open spaces. The design makes it great for just about anywhere, from freshly sowed lawns to uneven patches caused by frost and moles.
- U-SHAPED HANDLE: The U-shaped handle is comfortable for pull and push use. The lawn roller has a green painted smooth surface that fights against rust and easily detaches into 3 pieces for storage.
Have a small lawn that needs a bit of compacting? Then the small Combination Lawn Roller from Outsunny could be your best alternative.
At only 22-by-16 inches, it is one of the smallest on the list. This size makes it one of the easiest to use as well. If you have little storage space, you’ll find nothing better.
The size advantage doesn’t work alone, though. You get a U-shaped handle so you can pull or push as easily as you need. Alongside the green-painted steel surface, the whole roller handle feels comfy and sturdy enough for any use.
As for the cylinder, you get a steel construction. It’s spray-treated to prevent rust and scratches over time. The steel frame makes the whole roller even more long-lasting.
And with the 16-gallon capacity, you can fill it up to over 200 pounds for a sufficiently effective compacting tool. Using it won’t be much of a problem, especially for how well it works.
- Boasts an extra-solid drum
- Doesn’t rust or dent in the slightest
- Works perfectly for small lawns
- It’s a piece of cake to operate
- Annoying to use on big lawns
What to Consider When Buying Lawn Rollers
While we tried to explain every factor that sets all the lawn rollers apart, we didn’t explain why they matter. Below, we define them deeply:
Capacity & Weight
First and foremost, how much water or sand can it handle? Even more important, how much does the lawn roller weigh when it’s filled?
The amount of water and sand you can pour inside the cylinder is essential to know. This directly affects how much it will weigh. Generally, a capacity of 20 gallons is more than enough to handle over 140 pounds.
But it’s your choice in the end. A heavier lawn roller will obviously flatten out the grass more effectively. If your lawn is stubborn or you have a thick grass carpet, then you’ll want to use the heaviest roller possible.
What is the cylinder or drum made of? This will have a direct impact on how durable the lawn roller will be. Also, it will have a significant effect on the overall weight of the roller.
Most lawn rollers are either made of polypropylene or polyethylene. Both options are light but still resistant enough to resist a beating. You can always go for heavy-duty rollers instead, made of steel. These are heavier and harder to use but can add several pounds of weight for better flattening results.
Handlebar & Hitch
Do you prefer a push or pull roller? And would you like it to be attachable to your tractor/mower or instead use it manually? Both of these are essential to know.
A lawn roller with a handlebar makes manual operation possible. Be sure to pick a handlebar that looks and feels comfortable enough. This will make it easy to maneuver and much more pleasant to flatten your grass with.
If you don’t want to use it manually, go for those with a hitch instead. Ensure the hitch is compatible with the vehicle you’re using for the job (ATV, tractor, mower, etc.).
It’s worth noting that some lawn rollers come with both: a hitch and a handle. These are much more practical and versatile, so you can use them however you prefer.
Maintenance & Ease of Use
Finally, consider whether the lawn roller is maintenance-free or requires some work to make it usable. Simultaneously, check how easy it is to fill and store when necessary (quick-emptying drains are always the way to go).
Some lawn rollers come with detachable handles, so storing the roller is a lot easier. Also, you may find rollers with spokes or debris-free borders, making them easier to keep clean.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a Lawn Roller For?
As the name says, they’re great garden tools that roll in the grass or soil of your lawn. This activity focuses on flattening the ground, evening it out, and making sure it looks symmetrical. You can use them to improve the appearance, seed fresh grass, or clean the lawn after mowing.
Does a Lawn Roller Really Work?
Yes. They work because the weight of a lawn roller when filled (over a hundred pounds), flattens out grass, soil, and weeds at the same time. This compacting of the soil helps to seed new grass more easily, spread humidity more effectively, and gives the lawn a more symmetrical look.
How to Fix a Leaking Lawn Roller?
Depending on the type of lawn roller you’re talking about, the process may differ. For example, a poly drum will need adhesive, latex paint, and probably a plastic patch in the broken and leaking section. With a steel roller, you will have to solder another metal patch where the hole is located.
Is it Better to Push or Pull a Lawn Roller?
There’s really no better way to use a lawn roller. If you prefer using it manually, then you may find push a lot easier. But if you are trying to use the roller from a tractor or ATV, you will find pulling a much better choice.
What Should you Fill a Lawn Roller With?
It depends on whether you want to achieve maximum weight or have an easy time maneuvering the roller. What does this mean? Well, if you want the heaviest roller, fill it up with sand. But if you prefer an easy-to-maneuver roller that still gets the job done, go for water. Sand is about 50% heavier than water.
After reading about the best lawn rollers and learning everything you need to make the right choice, you should be prepared to get the right model.
So, what are you waiting for? With any of the lawn rollers above, you should an excellent experience. Sure enough, picking the right one will save you a lot of time, effort, and probably even money. Choose correctly and get your lawn compacted now!