Gardening is one of the best hobbies to keep your mind positive and energetic. It’s also great for the environment. However, one of the most common problems we face while pursuing this hobby is the lack of enough open space. Let’s face it; today, we have to make do with very little space to pursue gardening intensively. In such cases, our only option is to use those spaces more creatively.
It is important to understand that gardening is more than just expensive maintenance and even more expensive plants. It is all about boosting the greenery and making it look one of a kind. In this article, we will share some DIY Tower Garden Ideas to Build For Your Backyard.
Table of Contents
Exquisite Ideas to Build Tower Garden
When we say DIY, we will curate all the small parts ourselves and then build the tower garden from scratch. Because you are the one who is building the tower garden, there is a lot of scope for showcasing your talent, and the best part is you will easily get all the materials you need. In this article, we will share some simple ideas you can easily implement. Here are some of them:
1. Bottle Tower Garden
The first option that we are going to talk about is none other than the bottle tower garden. It might come off as a big shock to many, but you can build an entire tower garden from simple bottles that are often scrap. The good thing about this type of tower garden is that it is extremely simple to make, and because the main product is none other than water bottles, it is very easy to get hold of the same as well.
If you want to go more creative and not want the same-looking bottle tower garden, the best thing to do is color the bottles. One of the most popular options that you can choose in this case is none other than acrylic colors. These are often more sustainable; hence, the paint will not wash off if you plant the trees outdoors. When building such a tower garden, you can easily use plastic bottles.
Investing in such a tower garden is expensive, but that can be quite affordable if you use your creativity. If you plan to build a tower garden for 20 plants, you need 20 bottles, one for each. Along with the bottles, another very important thing that you need are sharp scissors. Otherwise, it would be best if you cut through the bottles slowly. Make sure you clean the bottles thoroughly before making a tower garden out of them.
2. Hydroponic Tower Garden
The next option that we are going to talk about is none other than the hydroponic tower garden. With very few materials and a bit of precision, you can build a complete tower at your home. The most important thing about the hydroponic tower is that it is extremely sustainable. Without any extravagant spaces, you can grow your plants extremely healthily.
The sheer convenience of the hydroponic tower is one of the major reasons it is becoming extremely popular, and hence many people are switching to the same. You will notice that the most common set of people who love to build the hydroponic tower is none other than the urban gardeners. The most important reason behind the same is the inconvenience associated with typical gardens. If you pay attention to the name of the tower itself, then you will see that there is an innate focus on the term “hydro” or water. In this system, the entire focus is on how plants can easily draw nutrients from the water.
Because there is no use of soil here, there are consequently no soil-based diseases and pests that can harm the plant. Not only that, you will be able to get fresh produce throughout the year without having to do much maintenance as well. The advantages of the hydroponic tower garden are so diverse that many people prefer to choose this. The price can be a deterrent in such cases, which is one of the major reasons we suggest you build the tower yourself.
3. Strawberry Tower Garden
There is often a lot of misconception among people that if you choose a tower garden, then it might only sometimes be effective enough and aid you with good produce. However, sadly this is a misconception because if you have got enough measures and the right hands, then there is probably only one option that will be able to aid you with such productivity other than the tower garden. One such option that we are going to talk about is none other than the strawberry tower garden.
So what is it? A strawberry tower garden is particularly one completely vested in producing strawberry fruits only. Not only does it look exquisite, but at the same time, the tower is extremely functional because here, you will be able to grow a lot of strawberries together. Regarding this particular option for building a strawberry tower garden, the most important thing you must remember is that it is very simple, and you only need a little material to build it. The main advantage of growing strawberries on a tower is saving them from bacteria.
Most of the time, you will see that if grown on the ground, the plants tend to attract a lot of pests at one go, which ruins the quality of the trees and production. The tower garden is a perfect choice to ensure this does not happen. In simple terms, it completely changes the garden’s look for the better. Who would believe you can build over 90 strawberry plants in a simple tower?
4. Vertical Hydroponic Tower Garden
And finally, the last option we have is a simple-looking yet extremely creative vertical hydroponic tower garden. You would be surprised to know that such a tower garden’s base element is PVC pipes. They can certainly look extremely creative if you focus enough on them. The name itself indicates that the entire beauty of the garden comes from how it is vertically lined; hence, you can save a lot of space. Also, it’s best for someone who wants to grow a lot of fresh green vegetables but also needs access to more resources in the urban area.
PVC pipes are extremely hardy, and the good thing about them is that they are also extremely sustainable in the long run. Consequently, you will only have to spend a little, and little maintenance is involved. Many people do not know this, but the technique is known as the Nutrient Film Technique, and hence it is quite modern and evolved as well.
PVC pipes are easily available in the market, and the only thing that you need to do is pierce through them easily. You would be stunned to know that vegetables grow extremely well on PVC pipes, and they stay fresh for a much longer time as well.
- The most important reason anyone would focus on the tower garden is to ensure we can use the space well. A common mistake many people make in this case is focusing more on beauty and undermining the purpose of building a tower garden. It is something that you should be specifically careful about. Try to understand how much space you can devote to the garden and choose accordingly. It should suffice the purpose.
- There is often a lot of misconception that when it comes to tower gardens, you will not be able to produce fresh vegetables. However, this is a myth. Most people do not understand this, but our gardens are an exceptionally good choice if you want to plant vegetables like tomatoes, eggplants, and similar other variants. The only thing that you would need to do is choose what you want and then build the tower garden.
- Building a tower garden is extremely easy, and specifically, if you are good with cutting and measuring things, it should be a cakewalk for you. You only need to be exceptionally aware of measuring and complementing the materials. The good thing about the tower garden is that it requires only a few materials; if you are a little aware, you can craft the same quickly. If you think that you are not someone who has a lot of ideas in this case, then you can hire a professional who will be able to guide you better.
- If you are building a tower garden, you only need to be very sure about the nutrient reaching your plants. In most cases, you will notice that there is no soil in such a setting; hence, the plant draws all the nutrients from the water. Hence, you have to be exceptionally particular about how much water you are putting in and whether that is enough for the optimum growth of your plants.
- And finally, you need to remember that there is no need to spend much money on building the perfect tower garden. All you need to do is ensure you have enough creativity, which will help you use simple materials well. With some basic and scrap items, you can build the best tower garden and try to place it under sunlight for better growth.
There is often a misconception among people that building a tower garden is difficult. However, that is not the case at all. You must remember that building a tower garden is about your creativity, and you can go a long way with a few materials.
Many people think flowers and vegetables will not grow healthy in a restricted area. However, the good thing about a tower garden is that it is about something other than the space and the technology we use.
Some vegetables like tomatoes, eggplants, and garlic grow exceptionally well. Even strawberries grow great in tower gardens. Hence there are no doubts about the fact that when it comes to vegetables and flowers, they will grow quite healthily in the tower garden and that too with ease.
People need to be aware that building a tower garden requires a lot of maintenance. However, the most important thing here is that a tower garden is extremely easy to maintain, and you will not need to do anything other than water it regularly. Just be regular with watering; that is all you need to pay attention to. Once you have built the garden’s structure and used it to put in plants, you can take good care of it.
When we talk about building a tower garden all by ourselves, you can still stick to the same options that we have talked about. Building such a garden is all about your creativity, and if you can use simple elements like containers, plastic bottles, and even pipes in a more creative way, you can do that easily! One of the most important reasons why we always focus on the building of tower gardens is because not only does it save a lot of time, but at the same time, it is extremely efficient as well.