There’s nothing like a self-propelled lawn mower to cut your lawn. It offers the efficiency and ease of use necessary to save you tons of time and effort. And that can change how you mow your grass.
But even then, these mowers are not free of problems. Sooner or later, you will need to adjust lawn mower for whatever reason. And when the moment comes, you may not know how.
Don’t worry, though. We’re going to help you with that in this article.
You’re going to learn everything from how to adjust a Husqvarna lawn mower cutting depth to how to adjust the drive control of a self-propelled model, plus a little more.
After making the proper adjustments, you’ll be able to get the most out of your mower right away. Want to find out how? Then keep reading!
Table of Contents
How to Adjust Husqvarna Lawn Mower Drive Control
Knowing how a Husqvarna self-propelled mower works, it will now be easier to adjust it.
Let’s start with the drive control. This is what regulates the speed at which the machine moves and the blade cuts.
When this drive control is not adjusted correctly, the machine will likely perform too fast or too slowly to your needs.
Luckily, you can always adjust it. How to do so? Easy – you spin the turnbuckle on the drive control housing that increases the tension. This affects the drive cable and lowers or increases the speed as you need.
Here’s how to do so:
- Start by disconnecting the spark plug and its cable. Be sure the machine can’t start.
- Now find the turnbuckle on the drive control. It looks like a small hook connected to the drive system.
- To adjust it, you need to rotate it clockwise for increasing motor speed and counter clockwise to reduce it.
- After adjusting, connect the spark plug again and start the mower to test. Readjust if needed.
- Finish by cleaning the mower deck and the drive wheel.
This should be enough to fix your mower driving too fast or too slowly for your demands.
But if the drive keeps working inconsistently or at the wrong speed, then you may be looking at a worn-out drive belt. In that case, you’ll have to replace it.
How to Adjust Husqvarna Lawn Mower Cutting Height
When the mower is not cutting at the ideal height, then you’ll want to fix it. Whether it is cutting too short or too tall, the way to fix this is by changing the deck height accordingly.
Here’s how you should approach changing the cutting height of your mower:
- First, turn the mower entirely off. Be sure no motor or blade is working at the time. Set the throttle control and blade clutches off.
- Now look for a small lever on the bottom of the handlebar. It is located close to the engine, just over the right or left tire.
- This lever should have some readings for the different height levels available. You will have to raise or lower the mower as needed.
- Typically, pushing the lever towards the engine lowers down the deck. And pulling it up towards the handlebar lifts it up.
After adjusting it to your desired level, then you’re ready to tackle any grass without problems.
How To Adjust the Height of a Self-Propelled Mower?
Even though the height of a self-propelled mower is adjusted for an average person, there’s still a chance some people won’t feel comfortable using them.
If that happens to you, then you can always adjust the height as necessary. Here’s how:
- The handlebar usually has a carriage bolt and knob on each side. You will have to remove both.
- Hold the handlebar and remove one of the bolts/knobs. Then go to the other side of the handle and do the same.
- The handlebar will loosen up so you can adjust it to your desired height. Find the perfect height for you and hold the handle tightly.
- Once you have the height, hold the handle and place the bolts/knobs back again. Secure them tightly, and you should be done.
You’ve successfully adjusted the height of your Husqvarna self-propelled mower.
Why Adjust a Husqvarna Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
There are many reasons to adjust a self-propelled lawnmower. But not everyone knows about them. To make it simple – here’s a brief array of advantages:
1. Better Performance
Is your mower moving too fast or too slow? Adjusting its drive will help you achieve the ideal performance for the results you’re looking for.
2. Easier to Use
There’s no need to hold down or push up the mower if it feels too uncomfortable. Instead, you can change the handlebar height and make it easier to use.
3. Smoother Cuts
Are you getting inconsistent and uneven cuts? Then you probably need to adjust the cutting height. This will deliver a lot of better cuts as required.
How Does a Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Work?
When you take a look at a self-propelling lawnmower, you’re looking at a machine that moves by itself.
Yes, it doesn’t need the user to push it around. The machine moves forward automatically when properly configured.
This is done thanks to a throttle or drive system that starts the machine and automatically moves it forward. Then you’ll find the operator presence control, which works like a safety measure. Both work in combination with a clutch that activates the blade.
1. Operator Presence Control
This is a simple mechanism on the top of the handlebar. Its sole purpose is to work as a brake and/or trigger the user needs to activate for the machine to move. If the operator presence control is not enabled, the mower won’t move or cut grass.
2. Drive Control
It works alongside the operator presence control on the handlebar.
This part has two handles on each side and is located on top of the handlebar. These handles work as accelerators, the more you push them, the faster the machine moves.
3. Throttle Control
This is a small handle typically located on the upper part of the mower. You may find it on the right side of the handlebar.
It has several positions that work as follow:
- Choke – for cold starts
- Fast – for warm-engine starts and regular operation (trimming, cutting, grass-bagging, etc.)
- Slow – reduces wheel and blade speed (for light trimming and cutting, fuel economy, etc.)
- Stop – this stops the engine and blade
This is an essential part of a self-propelled mower, and thus one to have in mind going forward.
4. Blade Clutch
The blade is controlled by both the operator’s presence bar as well as the blade clutch. This clutch is usually located on the left side of the handlebar.
It has two positions, one that stops the machine (pulled up) and one that activates the blade (pulled down). To make the mower work, it has to be pushed down. Otherwise, the blade won’t cut.
But the blade brake can only activate/deactivate if the operator presence control is not activated.
Also Read: How to Balance a Lawn Mower Blade?
Safety Precautions When Adjusting a Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
If you’re trying to adjust things on a self-propelled lawnmower, it is vital to take precautions. Otherwise, you may end up damaging yourself or producing permanent damage on the machine. And sure enough, you don’t want either.
Here are some tips to consider:
- Before starting any adjustment, be sure to read the owner’s manual first (if any). This should help prevent any mistake as Husqvarna self-propelled models may vary (e.g., new ones and old ones).
- Always wear protective gear on your hands and face while working on the machine. We recommend work gloves and safety goggles.
- Before adjusting the machine, be sure it is cooled down. Otherwise, you may burn yourself with its hot parts. Let it cool down for at least 10 minutes after using it.
- Only activate the drive/throttle after warming up the machine. Put it on the idle/choke level for a few minutes before activating the rest.
- Test the mower after adjusting the machine. Also, stay away from the cutting deck while testing it. This will prevent injuries for you and mechanical damage to the machine.
Follow these tips, and you should have little to no issue adjusting your Husqvarna lawnmower.
Adjust Your Self-Propelled Husqvarna Mower Now!
After going through all these tips, you’re ready to tackle any mowing. Whether your mower was too low, too high, too slow, too fast, or merely uncomfortable – this guide should help you fix it.
You’ll make it work exactly how you need without wasting a single second figuring it out by yourself. So don’t hesitate to adjust lawn mower from Husqvarna following our recommendations.