Are you stressing a lot to figure out which tractor would be the best for your garden or lawn? Do you want to make your gardening experience a smooth and heavenly one?
Why not give the John Deere 317 lawn tractor a try!
I have been using the John Deere 317 lawn tractor for quite some time or rather years – since the year 2000, and I’m ready to give a complete review of it. I bought it after watching an ad in our local newspaper. Of course, the price was on the higher side, but still, I wanted to give it a try. After all, it’s from the house of John Deere – a brand that I like a lot, as I had some previous good experience with it.
So without further ado, lemme tell you about the John Deere 317 lawn tractor along with the good and the bad.
John Deere 317 Lawn Tractor: Features
Initially, I didn’t quite like the engine that the John Deere 317 lawn tractor came with, to be honest. But then came the all-enhanced KT17 series 11 that comes with a Kohler 2-cylinder gasoline engine.
The engine is air-cooled, and it has 17 horsepower.
The RPM or the rated replacement per minute is 3600. It has a displacement of 42.18 Cl and a stroke of 2.750 x 3.125 inches.
So, now you know how high power it has!
And it makes work on vast, tough gardens a piece of cake.
The brakes are there on the front wheels – a differential braking system. This makes sure that the angular rates between the trailer and the tractor are only little – especially when you are using the brakes.
Did I tell you that the John Deere 317 lawn tractor has a hydrostatic transmission?
It comes with a forward and reverse speed.
The steering of this lawn tractor is manual, and it is in an open operator station.
- Power take-off
There is an independent front PTO with an electric clutch.
The dimension of the rear tire is 23×10.50-12, and the front tire is 16×6.5-8. Coming to the chassis, it is 4×2 2WD. The weight of the tire is 317 kg or 700 lbs. And the wheelbase is 46 inches.
You can get the John Deere 317 lawn tractor with mountable mower decks, which measure 46, 48, and 50 inches each.
- Serial numbers
If you want to have a look at the serial number of your John Deere, you can find it below the steering column. Generally, the final one is 285000.
Want to locate the air exhaust?
You can find it at the front of the tractor.
Did I tell you that the John Deere 317 comes with a blade and a tiller too?
The battery of this powerful lawn tractor is 12 volts.
How Does the John Deere 317 Lawn Tractor Work?
Now that you know about all the features and specifications of the John Deere 317, let me tell you how it works.
Inside the Kohler engine, there is a driveshaft. And the rear wheels are driven by the movement of the hydraulic pump. That hydraulically powers this excellent lawn tractor.
The mower deck is driven by a long belt that is placed on the front PTO. In the rear PTO, there is the tiller. Two belts drive the tiller.
All the attachments that come with the John Deere 317 are raised and lowered hydraulically.
Price of the John Deere 317
The price of this John Deere lawn tractor is something that I can’t disclose with certainty. It depends on several factors, such as the prevailing market conditions and its age.
Now, if you plan to buy one, I recommend you do an online research first. You can take the help of reviews and forums. Also, you can do offline research to understand what you are getting.
Once you explore both avenues, you will get a clear idea about the price. Then, of course, you can opt for a second-hand John Deere 317 tractor too.
Technical or Operator’s Manual for John Deere 317
Have you made up your mind about getting a second-hand John Deere 317? What if it doesn’t come with a technical or operator’s manual?
Well, you can get one directly from John Deere.
If it is not available online, you can always visit their offline book store.
Pros of the John Deere 317 Lawn Tractor
Now, if you ask me, I would say that the John Deere 317 is rugged, heavy-duty, and dependable. And if you are looking for a garden tractor with these qualities, then this tractor is a very good option, I must say. Here are some other traits that I like about this tractor:
- You can get a number of personalized as well as official attachments with this lawn tractor
- It doesn’t need much maintenance
- If you are looking for a tractor for your residential needs, then the John Deere 317 is one of the best that you can have
- It is great for all kinds of field cutting
- Do you have a huge garden in your home? Then this tractor would work best for that
- It comes with multiple skids steer quick hitch. This means you can add different types of skid steer attachments to its loader. Some examples are rakes, buckets, and pallet forks. But, of course, there are many others.
- It is extremely adaptable
- It comes with independent rear brakes
- After all, it is a John Deere – the name of the brand speaks a lot
- It doesn’t eat up much oil. I think it kind of understands the value of money
- It is really powerful to blow the snow. It doesn’t matter how frequently and roughly you use it. It does its work the best – excellent mowing
- You can rely on the John Deere 317. The makers have re-powered its engine so that it can live up to all your mowing expectations
- Although its construction is old-school, it is tough and has a good appearance. You can use the mower to cut through heavy grass (18” to 24”) with ease
Cons of the John Deere 317 Lawn Tractor
Not everything is perfect. And the John Deere 317 is no exception to it. Here are some cons of this lawn tractor:
- There are no foot controls or switches in this tractor
- If you want to connect the deck, you can find it quite difficult
- If any part of the John Deere 317 gets damaged and needs to replace it, it can be an expensive affair. But, if you compare it with the part replacement of other tractors available, the cost will seem okay
- This tractor is not 4×4
- It doesn’t have power steering. So, once you load it, you have to put quite a bit of effort to turn it
John Deere 317 Lawn Tractor: The Verdict
Even with the cons that the John Deere 317 has, I would say that it is worth your money. I have been using it for a very long time, and I have seen how excellent it works. This is a great tractor for using in your garden. If I were to rate it, I would give the John Deere 317 lawn tractor 4 out of 5.
Now, if you manage to get the John Deere 317, let me and our other readers know about your experience in the comments!