If you are a lawn or backyard owner, you must know how tough it can be to maintain your lawn. Every weather brings new challenges for lawn owners. Amongst them all, the most challenging issue is cleaning the yard. Be it a small size lawn or a big one, it always is a cumbersome situation. But keeping a check on the health and maintenance of the yard is equally essential. Therefore most lawn owners head towards the lawn equipment that can make their work easy. Many such types of equipment are available in the market to help sweep the lawn, such as sweepers and baggers. But the question then again arises is which one of them is to choose: The lawn sweeper or the bagger.
Since they are both used for cleaning the lawn, there are many differences between them, which lead the lawn owner to ask this question.
We have come up with this article after doing all the research to answer this question.
What is a Lawn Sweeper?
A lawn sweeper is a gardening tool that generally seeps the fallen leaves, twigs, grass clippings, pine needles, and other lightweight debris from your lawn. The sweeper has a spinning brush that collects the debris and leaves from your lawn and puts it all in the collection hopper attached to the lawn sweeper. Once the collecting bag fills up, you must pour it out in a lawn dustbin or compost dig if you have any.
However, when your lawn is wet in rainy times, the sweeper gets clogged while cleaning the lawn. Generally, a lawn sweeper cleans big and wide lawns or gardens efficiently.
There are various designs for lawn sweepers depending on the size of the lawn as well.
- For small lawns, push lawn sweepers to work for the best.
- Power sweepers are explicitly designed to remove more debris from vast lawns.
- Tow-behind lawn sweepers are the best suited to attach them to riding mowers.
We have already talked about the different kinds of designs of lawn sweeper that are present in the market. Few are best suited for small lawns that collect a small amount of debris. While few are made especially for wide lawns, they collect extensive debris from lawns. However, Push type, Tow-behind lawn, and Power sweepers are the three most commonly found lawn-sweeping tools.
- Push sweepers contain a small revolving brush to gather some high-quality debris.
- Tow-behind design for riding lawn mowers.
- Gas engines are available for power sweepers. It collects a lot of debris by rotating its blades considerably more quickly.
There are different dimensions of different lawn sweepers.
- The push-up sweepers have lengths of around 21-26 inches with a chassis thickness of 2.36 inches.
- Tow-behind sweepers have a length of 48 inches to 51 inches.
- Power sweepers have a length ranging between 10-12 feet.
- The standard lawn sweeper’s “sweep path” is 44 inches long. The ratio of brushes to wheels is 5:1:1. About 25 cubic feet are contained in its hopper bag capacity.
Using a lawn sweeper is the most efficient way to use it with a riding mower.
The collective price is approximately $340-$500 in the market. But different sweeper have different prices depending on their size.
Most lawn sweeping equipment has a two-year warranty and costs between $200 and $300.
4. Safety and Maintenance
The lawn sweepers are very user-friendly and easy to maintain. The installation of the lawn sweepers is effortless. All you must do is follow the guide attached to the lawn sweeper. Since the big hopper collects extensive debris, the big sweepers require good maintenance.
- These sweepers are designed in different designs suited for different sizes of lawns.
- The sweepers can easily collect a huge amount of debris from your garden.
- Assist in collecting various kinds of debris very efficiently.
- Depending on your need and your affordability, various designs are available.
- It is designed not to have any fatal effect on the grasses of the lawn.
- It is designed with adjustable sweeping height considering the different heights of different lawn owners.
- It being big, takes an extensive space in your garden.
- It does not work efficiently on hilly or bumpy terrain.
- The collecting hoppers are vulnerable to strong wind blows.
Also Read:- Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper Review
What are the Lawn Baggers?
Lawn baggers also collect the grasses of your lawn and are attached to the riding or pushing mower on their back sides. Gardeners use this tool to chop off the overgrown grasses on the lawn. The capacity of lawn baggers is similar to lawn sweepers.
In the market, you can easily find the two basic sizes of lawn baggers.
- The traditional design
- Vacuum leaf
These baggers use a limited technicality to collect the grasses. Rather it uses airflow produced by open hoppers to gather the debris and bag it through the collecting bag.
Though vacuum leaf baggers work more smartly than traditional ones, a hose attaches to the deck of a riding mower, using which they suck up the grasses.
1. Design and Dimension
In the baggers also, you can get different sizes of baggers available in different designs. The basic or traditional lawn bagger has a capacity of 7.4 cubic feet. Since we know that baggers collect a relatively lesser amount of debris than sweepers, their bag hop sizes are also smaller. The maximum width of the hopper is 42-54 inches. This particular size of lawn bag is made to be attached to mowers. Mowers’ rotating blades make space in baggers for debris collection.
Here also, different sizes of the bagger have an extra cost. The smaller the bagger’s size, the lesser the price and vice versa. Though, it comes naturally to you that the bagger cost would be less than that of the sweepers. The standard bagger’s cost is from $200 to $500. Nearly every product includes a two-year warranty in addition to complementary advantages.
3. Safety and Maintenance
Baggers demand very minimal maintenance and last longer than sweepers. They are easy to assemble as they are very quickie attached to the mowers. It means you can attach it to the mower and chop the grass whenever you need it. Once you are done, you can remove it and pack it separately. Therefore, they occupy very less space on your lawn.
- When chopping grasses, the bagger is the best tool to use.
- Best to use for grass chopping and leave collecting.
- Easy to assemble and use.
- It is available in various shapes, sizes, and designs.
- Since the size is small, I require significantly less maintenance.
- Make no mess or fuss while chopping off the grasses.
- Redistribute the lawn’s natural resources, saving your time for tilting the ground.
- Dependent on the moving mower for its functioning.
- It needs to be more efficient for collecting debris from the lawn.
- Clogging takes place very quickly.
- It uses no specific method for cleaning the debris.
- When used on large lawns, it takes a huge amount of time.
Lawn Sweeper Vs. Bagger: Face-to-Face Comparison
Let’s know the difference between the two to find out what sets them apart from each other.
1. Cleaning Ability
Compared to cleaning ability, the lawn sweeper is more efficient than the lawn bagger. The lawn sweeper, with its wide mouth, cleans the huge area of the lawn. The wider the mouth of the lawn sweeper, the more it will be cleaning the lawn. The maximum width of the mouth of the lawn sweeper is 100m.
The lawn bagger could have more efficiency in cleaning the lawn. The cutting deck size of a lawnmower places restrictions on baggers. They can gather as far as a riding or lawn mower can cut, usually between 42 and 54 inches.
Therefore, from this comparison, the lawn sweeper wins the point.
Both tools are versatile in their places. On the one hand, when the bagger collects the fall leaves and dry grasses. The fact that it is connected to the mower aids it in shredding the organic waste and makes it simple to gather into the bag.
On the other hand, when talking, the lawn sweeper collects every range of organic waste very effectively. It can also clear away the debris the wind has blown onto your driveway, grass clippings, leaves, twigs after pruning, acorns, and pine needles.
The lawn sweeper wins in this conflict, without a doubt. It can pick up garbage and a wider variety of grass detritus.
3. Ease of Use
Compared to traditional rakers, sweepers and baggers are easy to use. But still, one has to be better than the other.
The lawn sweeper has separate tools to collect and cut grasses or leaves.
Therefore it demands you to work twice on the ground. Using the sweeper, you can collect the debris in the bag. Once you have collected the debris, you need to shred it again.
But the bagger does all the work at the same time. It not only chops the grasses in small sizes but also collects them and does no damage to your grasses.
Therefore, baggers save you more time and therefore it wins another point.
It takes a lot of work to maintain the lawn. You could only do this with the gardening tools now on the market. As a result, anytime you invest, make an unreadable list of the tools you need and which ones are best for you based on the size of your lawn. Keep the following check on your list:
- Size of the lawn
- Type of debris you need to clean
- Type of terrain of your lawn
The best time to use the lawn sweeper is a sunny day when the grass is dry. In the wet grass, the weeper gets clogged and does not work correctly.
A lawn sweeper picks up acorns and pine needles, twigs, fall leaves, and grass clippings.
Lawn sweepers clean up all kinds of debris in your garden, be it grass clipping or pine needles. Not only this, but it is also very user-friendly. Therefore, it is worth buying it.
If you want to use the lawn baggers most efficiently, use them on a sunny day when the grasses are dry.
Since lawn baggers are very compact and thus work their best in small or mid-sized lawns, in the big fields, it takes more time; therefore, the efficiency decreases.
You may clean up the trash in your gardens using a lawn sweeper or a bagger. However, “these lawn sweepers” mainly collect different types of waste. Baggers, according to experts, help in the trimming process or in controlling overgrown grass. However, a lawn sweeper is the best tool for collecting organic stuff or leaves.
Be it the lawn sweeper or the lawn bagger, both make cleaning your lawn an easy job for you. But still, there are many features that differentiate them and make one of them more compatible to use than the other. In this article, we have compared both tools in every possible aspect. It is now your chance to choose, according to your requirements, which tool suits you the best.