The soft spurt of water, bubbling sound, and the attractive spray pattern can make even the dullest of areas into a more fascinating place.
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks for Small Fountain Pumps
- TetraPond Pond Pump – Our Top Pick
- hygger HG-915 Aquarium Water Pump
- OKMEE Solar Fountain
- Simple Deluxe LGPUMP Submersible Water Pump
- VIVOSUN Submersible Pump
To power it, however, you’ll need a small fountain pump. Regardless of what kind of fountain it is, the pump will be the most critical part. You can’t make one without it.
That’s why we decided to bring a list of the best fountain pumps in the market, plus a buying guide on how to get the right one. Looking to change your garden’s appearance forever? Check below and find a pump that helps.
7 Small Fountain Pumps Reviews in 2022
|TetraPond Pond Pump
|• Super-small and easy to disguise
• Sufficiently powerful but efficients
|hygger HG-915 Aquarium Water Pump
|• Has an adjustable LED controller
• Shuts off automatically when there’s no water
|OKMEE Solar Fountain
|• Operates without outlet electricity
• Works in small fountains perfectly
|Simple Deluxe LGPUMP Submersible Water Pump
|• Has a simple yet practical design
• The sturdy ceramic system lasts a long time
|VIVOSUN Submersible Pump
|• Comes with an adapter for any operation
• Allows for easy cleaning and upkeep
|CWKJ Fountain Pump
|• Extra-small and super-easy to hide away
• Comes with a decently reliable motor
|COODIA Submersible Fountain Pump with Lights
|• Offers different spray patterns
• Features an incredible RGB light system
Pumps aren’t the hardest product to build. For that reason, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of manufacturers out there. But the majority are mediocre, to say the least.
We wanted to avoid those. Instead, we focused on quality pump brands that had many buyers, endless positive reviews, and more importantly, high regard for quality.
After testing many of them, we found seven that are ready to make your landscape better. Here’s what we have to say about each:
1. TetraPond Pond Pump
- WATER GARDEN PUMP: Powers waterfalls, filters and fountain heads in extra-large outdoor ponds
- ADAPTER INCLUDED: Includes an adapter to fit tubing 1 ¼ inch in diameter
Need to power up your 50-gallon fountain? You’ll find nothing as efficient and easy to use as this one.
With a straightforward design, the only thing to do is submerge the pump, connect the pipes, and turn it on. The machine will create the smallest fountain up to 250 gallons of pond size.
It works using a magnetic drive system, ensuring efficiency. But more importantly, the most consistent spurts. The water will circulate from the pump to the fountain pipe in seconds without ever stopping.
This is done with the 325 GPH motor, capable of transporting water faster. And with the water-diverting system, you can select where to direct the pump on demand.
Boasting a 12-foot power cord and a decently small design that fits in small and medium-sized ponds, it is a practical pump you don’t want to dismiss.
2. hygger HG-915 Aquarium Water Pump
- 🐠【Demension & Specifications】Powerful and ultra quiet water return pump. Input voltage: 100-240V 50/60HZ. Output voltage: DC 24V. Pump Dimension (LxWxH): 6.2 x 3.1 x 5 inch. Cord length from the pump to controller is 6ft, the power cord length is 6.6ft. Wattage/flow/head: 33W/1060GPH/13.1ft head. Please look the chart for each models
- 🐠【 Auto Shut Off When No Water】 Plug the power to turn this water pump on, unplug the power to turn it off. It is protected in case there's no water, the pump will auto shut off when no water is sensed or water gets too low. Comes with 2 kinds of removable water intake screens,1 for normal water level and the other for low water level (higher than 0.8inch)
Want to build a low-profile fountain in your garden? No pump performs as quietly as the HG-915 from hygger.
With one of the smallest pump designs, it hides underwater while still providing sufficient water-processing capacity. It can handle anywhere from 800 to 2,650 GPH depending on the specific model you pick.
The combination of quietness and pumping power is a wonder. Yet, it is the 71 different speed settings that make it such a practical product. A LED controller allows you to operate it, using the Up, Down, or Pause buttons as needed.
The best of all? It boasts an auto shut-off system. When there’s no water for the pump to operate, it will turn off automatically, preventing unnecessary damage or noise.
Apart from that, it is a resilient pump, boasting a ceramic shaft and a magnetic drive motor that makes it last a lifetime.
3. OKMEE Solar Fountain
- 4-in-1 Integrated Nozzle: OKMEE solar powered fountain pump for bird bath is the only one company designs with 4 in 1 nozzle. Rotate nozzle to change the different water styles. Never miss nozzles again and goodbye to frequently changing and complex installation. OKMEE solar fountain with the Patent NO. US D877,855 S
- Different Water Style and Gentle Burbling Sound: 4 water styles, water up to 50-70cm jet height on sunny day. Rotate the nozzle to switch 3 different spraying modes and remove nozzle to get bubbler mode. Bubbler mode is the lowest height spray, then 1 to 3 mode from low to high
Get rid of electrical outlets or extensions. This solar fountain operates using solar energy, making it one of the most versatile alternatives.
Being solar doesn’t only mean it works with solar energy for efficiency. It also means the tiny pump works pretty much anywhere.
As a versatility feature, the pump also comes with a 4-in-1 nozzle. This feature allows you to change the spurting style. Instead of single spraying or stream, you can pick between 4 different modes.
At 6.3 inches in diameter, this small yet super-handy pump can be the perfect addition to your yard fountain. It works better on ponds no more than 3 inches deep.
4. Simple Deluxe LGPUMP Submersible Water Pump
- PRE-FILTER INCLUDED - Pre-filter on the intake prevents debris from entering your pump and extend the life of your pump Max flow rate: 400GPH, Max Lift Height 8.2ft
- DURABLE QUALITY - Our Polished Aluminum Oxide Ceramic Impeller Shaft insures long pump life because it is non-corrodible and more than 3 times as hard as stainless steel. Epoxy Resin Encasement of key internal motor components prevents unwanted conductivity and corrosion of metal parts
One of the smallest, capable of hiding even in the most challenging places, the Simple Deluxe submersible pump goes anywhere you want it to.
It starts with a pumping capacity of 120 GPH on its smallest version and 1060 GPH on the largest one. The machine can send the water anywhere from 3.1 up to 12 feet accordingly.
The best feature comes from quality construction. It boasts an aluminum oxide ceramic impeller shaft, no exposed copper, and a waterproof power cord. Interestingly, the exterior cover is made of vinyl and withstands anything from water pressure to oil and grease, abrasion, and harsh temperatures.
Last but not least, it boasts a 15-foot power cord. Whether you want it submerged or on dry land, this pump will make it possible.
5. VIVOSUN Submersible Pump
- Specs & Dimensions: 4.1*2.6*3.5 inches; The 6.5 ft. long power cord offers convenient installation and an adjustable knob allows you to control of water flow rate and pressure; Max flow rate: 800 GPH (3000L/H); Max lift height: up to 10 ft.; Wattage: 24W; Voltage: 110-120V
- Detachable & Cleanable: This powerful yet small-sized water pump is easy to hide and disguise; No tools necessary for disassembly and it’s very easy to clean
Small enough to fit inside the tiniest fountains and potent enough to get that stream up to 10 feet, the submersible pump from VIVOSUN is an excellent alternative.
It starts with an 800 GPH capacity. You can adjust the flow a lot lower if necessary, making it more fitting for small areas.
Regardless of the pressure, it boasts three adapters for the outlet. Each one offers a unique water effect, ensuring a more fun fountain experience.
You can disguise it anywhere. It is also detachable for easy cleaning when needed. And because it has a practical outlet, you can make it work however you want.
Lastly, it boasts 4 suction cups in the bottom, ensuring a stable installation anywhere. And with its resistant construction, you can make it work in any environment.
6. CWKJ Fountain Pump
- ★【PROVIDE YOU COMFORT & QUIET ENVIROMENT】Our fountain pump’s ultra-quiet operation will let you feel that the sounds of the water pouring out of your fountain is such a relaxing and tranquil sound, and you will love sitting out on your patio watching the squirrels and birds bath and now the peaceful sounds of our fountain make it even more enjoyable.
- ★【MULTI-OCCASIONS】The fountain pump can make circulation to your tank and give your lovely fish a near-natural environment. This submersible water pump can create water current, ideal for a medium-sized aquarium, small pond, water garden, and desktop water fountains. Perfect for backyard fountain/waterfall, aquarium, ponds, fish tank, tabletop fountains, garden statuary, patio drip irrigation system and hydroponic systems and more.
Don’t want to waste a single cent of your money? Go for a cheap pump in that case.
This fountain pump from CWKJ gets every pumping job without costing a fortune. At 25 watts of power consumption, it is one of the most efficient.
Yet, it can deliver 400 GPH – enough to send the stream up to 6.5 feet in the air. You can control the flow rate as necessary using the adjustable knob on the side.
And what’s even better, installing it won’t be any problem. You can disguise it easily thanks to a super-small design at only 2.3 inches by 2.8 inches and 3.2-inch size. Along with a 6.5-foot power cord and 4 suction cups, it goes anywhere you want.
Last but not least, it lasts a lifetime thanks to a stainless-steel impeller shaft.
7. COODIA Submersible Fountain Pump with Lights
- 4 water patterns: Blossom, Frothy,Mushroom and Two-Tier Style. Inside filter design, prevents clogging in outdoor pond.
- Detachable birght RGB color changing LED light, creating fantastic effect at night. It is very enjoying watching its beauty at night.
Get your fountain to the next level with a lighted pump.
Yes, you read that right. This pump comes with unique RGB lights that set it apart.
You won’t have to stick with the typical and boring fountain pump. Instead, get that water up to 6.5 feet with the 660 GPH. It’s still super-cute, using all the colors of the rainbow.
More interestingly, the pump boasts 4 different patterns. You can use the Two-Tier Style, the Mushroom, Frothy, or the Blossom. Regardless, you’ll enjoy the efficiency of the magnetic ceramic rotator that ensures consistent and non-clogging performance.
Because it is more fun than the rest, this one makes for an excellent decoration. Whatever the garden style, you may find this one ideal.
What to Consider when Buying a Small Fountain Pump
Surfed through our reviews but still don’t know what to pick? Don’t worry. Here’s a brief section that explains everything about fountain pumps. If you aren’t well-versed about them, you’ll be after reading what we have to say:
Each pump comes with a GPH measurement. This refers to Gallons per Hour. The more GPH the pump has, the more water it will process.
Pumps with less than 500 GPH are for small fountains, those that don’t require much power. We recommend staying within this limit unless you want to use the pump for a larger fountain later on.
Most fountain pumps require an electric outlet for electricity. Small pumps will use about 22 watts to function. This measurement will depend on the size. Some will need up to 50 watts, while others may need as little as 15 watts.
In case the pump is solar-powered, you won’t have to worry about this. It will probably offer anywhere from 2 to 10 watts of power. They’re less potent but a lot more efficient.
Size & Design
You want a pump that can work on your small fountain without taking much space or being too obvious. For that, pick the easiest-to-hide pump possible.
This often means a black pump with the smallest design possible. It should be submersible for extra versatility. And more importantly, it should have a power cord long enough to allow for easy installation (preferably over 10 feet).
Nozzles & Accessories
Some pumps come with several nozzles for different types of streams or sprays. You can pick whatever fits the fountain better or adapt the one that best matches the situation.
Other accessories you may encounter include:
- Control panels
- Removable covers
- Pipe connectors
- Suction cups
The more accessories the pump comes with, the better it becomes. You will have much more use for the pump that way.
How to Install a Fountain Pump
The process is as simple as you can imagine. Following the instructions is often enough. However, you may find it a bit complicated if you haven’t installed one of these before.
Here are some tips to consider:
- Always install the pump in a stable and solid place. Preferably the bottom of a fountain, pond, tub, or tank. Use rocks or other objects to secure it.
- Don’t install the pump when the area is filled with water. It’s recommended to always empty it out before installing.
- Use the nozzles, risers, extensions, or adapters in the output port as needed. Tighten and secure each piece properly.
- Always run the power cord close to the bottom. Set it up in a way that it doesn’t float. Try to put it under rocks and/or sections of vegetation.
- When everything is done, you can always fill up the place with water. Fill the area slowly to gauge whether the pump or its power cord move. If yes, try to adjust everything as necessary.
- It’s recommended that nozzles and other spraying accessories are less than 1 inch under the surface. This ensures the stream goes out of the water.
Once done, you can proceed to turn it on. The pump should work as expected.
How to Maintain a Fountain Pump
Because these are mechanical objects that produce a lot of heat while still being underwater, suck a lot of water a day, and have internal filters that store debris, it’s clear they need some maintenance from time to time. Here’s a list of things you should do:
- Always unplug the pump from the water source before doing any cleaning or maintenance. Get them out of the water too.
- Dismantle the pump using a screwdriver as necessary. Clean every part deeply using a brush and/or towel. Never use soap or any similar chemical that could damage the product.
- Leave the parts to dry outside. Especially internal pieces that would otherwise cause internal damage if you re-install them wet. We recommend leaving the pump to dry for several hours.
- Replace lines and/or wires that are either broken or soon to be. Worn-out parts are also worth replacing before putting the pump to work again.
- Check that the whole configuration, including power cord and water sources, is also in a great state. If not, fix and/or replace as necessary.
Even the smallest water pump will need a bit of maintenance and fixing, sooner or later. Follow the tips above and keep it working for long.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Still have doubts about fountain pumps? We may answer one of your questions below:
How do fountain pumps work?
Like garden pumps and many other types out there, a small fountain pump uses an impeller to suction water, pass it through the internal lines, and then spit it out through the outlet on the other side. As simple as it sounds, fountain pumps are not the most complex systems out there.
Are all fountain pumps submersible?
No. But this is rare. As with new technologies, making a fountain pump capable of withstanding water pressure of most fountains, ponds, and tanks is not much of a problem.
Should I use a small fountain pump in my fish tank?
Indoor fish tanks are often not the best place for fountain pumps to be. The recommended area would be an outdoor fountain or a koi pond.
Can you build a garden fountain without a pump?
Yes, it is possible. But it’s more complicated and often more expensive. A pump simplifies and cheapens the process.
Are small fountain pumps loud?
No. Most tiny pumps make little noise. If you install them correctly, you will barely notice there’s a pump around.
Is a water-powered fountain pump worth it?
Yes. Solar-powered fountains and pumps use less electricity than a standard pump. More importantly, they produce no fumes that could cause damage to the environment.
How long does a small fountain pump last?
It depends on the quality and usage. Generally, however, you can expect these pumps to last anywhere from 1 year up to 10 years.
It doesn’t take a genius to realize the beauty a fountain brings to any garden. Even the smallest of green areas can use the loveliness a small fountain pump can offer.
As long as you know what you’re getting and are willing to take your garden experience to the next level, choosing a fountain pump won’t be much of a problem.
So, are you eager to change your garden’s appearance forever? Get one of the pumps above and make it happen!