5 Convenient Drip Irrigation System – Automatic Watering System For Garden
There is no better way to automate your watering than with a drip irrigation system. This way you get to have a plush evergreen and healthy garden or lawn, all the time.
As a top choice, this drip irrigation kit is very easy to use and install via its three-step installation process. It can water more than 20 plants and is ideal for hanging baskets and containers. Besides, you can always customize it to fit your planting design.
In addition, it delivers water precisely where it is needed, at the root-zone. As for water delivery, its timer automates everything, so you do not have to drag the water hose every time.
Best Product - Our Top 3 Picks
Rated #1 by Our Experts
Top 5: Best Drip Irrigation System Review
Drip irrigation system is an automatic water-wise way to ensure that each of your garden plants gets the required amount of water via a stream, drip or spray system. It can help keep the roots of the plants moist and not soaked. This means it uses very little water compared to other irrigation techniques.
Moreover, it is a quick DIY installation system. You just have to remember to keep the water emission part on top of the soil or mulch you are using to hide some of its parts. This way you do not clog it. In the end, you save money and water while keeping your plants healthy.
1. Raindrip R560DP Automatic Container and Hanging Baskets Kit
There are different kinds of irrigation kits but nothing beats an automatic watering system, which is both efficient and economical. For instance, this Raindrip R560DP is the perfect fit for those with container plants and hanging baskets, as you can customize it to fit your plant design.
This drip irrigation kit can save up to 70% of water while keeping your plants healthier day in day out. It will not waste your water through run-offs or excess evaporation, as it directs water to the roots of the plant. Besides, its water saving capabilities are what makes it ideal for drought-prone areas.
In addition, its method of precise watering to the root-zone makes it an ideal fit for all kinds of plants. It will keep the water off your leaves and stems, which can lead to fungal or mold infections. You just have to set it up as directed for better and lustful results.
As for set up, you can rely on its three-step installation process. You just connect the hose and timer to your water source, lay out the supply tube and then attach the pre-assembled waterlines before placing it next to your plants.
The set-up of this drip irrigation kit is very easy and quick that you will appreciate its design and uniqueness. Besides, its timer will automate the whole process no need to drag the garden water hose around. Another great thing about the set-up is that everything you will need for the job is provided.
TOP 3 FEATURES
- Superior Make
You can now customize and expand this system via some additional tubing, fittings as well as feeder lines to enable you to fit it right in within your plant or garden design. Besides, this process is as easy as attaching a water garden hose.
This garden irrigation system is made from linear, low-density polyethylene and added UV inhibitors to make it weather resistant. Therefore, you can opt to bury it on the surface or leave it out in any weather.
Its level of efficacy lies in its ability to deliver water where it is needed, at the roots of the plant without affecting the whole plant.
WHAT WE LIKED
WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE
2. Orbit 69525 Micro Bubbler Complete Drip Irrigation Watering Kit
There is no better way to keep your garden plants healthy than with a drip irrigation kit. It can help keep your plants alive while preventing the growth of weeds and other unwanted wild plants. Besides, you can save loads of water with it, especially if you live in drought-prone areas.
A good example of this kind of drip irrigation system is this Orbit 69525. It comes with a complete user guide for easy use and installation. You can install it in under 15 minutes for a quick and immediate watering. Moreover, its stake and micro bubblers will allow for direct plant watering and not water the weeds or landscape.
Furthermore, it comes with everything you need for the installation, even ½-inch drip-lock coupling for expansion when needed. The best way to maximize on its use is to go through the user manual before installation.
In addition, you can place its tubing around different kinds of trees, flowerbeds, and shrubs among other kinds of existing landscapes within your garden. It will not take much of your time if you do it right.
As for coverage, this system can cover up to 250 square foot area. This allows for versatility when it comes watering different kinds of plants.
TOP 3 FEATURES
- Water Conservation
- Easy to Use
- Features Micro Bubblers
This drip irrigation system can save up to 70% of water unlike other irrigation systems like spray heads. This makes it great equipment for saving water in drought areas.
Its ½-inch and ¼-inch water distribution tubing is highly flexible thus allowing you to run the drip lines as you deem fit, for better coverage.
The drip micro bubblers can make a big difference when it comes to the health of your plants, as they prevent any damages to the plants, by supplying the water where it is needed.
WHAT WE LIKED
WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE
3. Rain Bird GRDNERKIT Drip Irrigation Gardener's Drip Kit
Buying a drip irrigation kit can be complex for newbie gardeners, but with the right buying tips as well as product, anyone can easily hack its use as well as maintenance. For instance, this Rain Bird drip kit comes with everything you need to set it up as well as a convenient user manual.
All you have to do is follow the instructions and you are good to go. It includes fittings and stakes, ¼-inch distribution tubing, ½-inch emitter, and distribution tubing, spot watering emitters, a regulator as well as a faucet connection kit.
You will not need any digging or plumbing skills for this drip irrigation system. You just connect it to your faucet. Besides, this unit can cover a whopping 75 feet of landscape or garden without any problem, emitting water where it is needed without fail.
Moreover, this model is highly durable with a design that does not clog even with constant use. Its end to end watering is very consistent for better yield in different kinds of plants.
Now you can rest assured that your garden and plants will stay alive, without attracting any weed growth or different forms of water-causing diseases like mold or fungal. This is because this garden irrigation system waters only the roots, not the surrounding soil.
TOP 3 FEATURES
- Energy Saving
- Conserves Water
You can now save some energy via this water system by just setting it up and leaving it to water your plants. This eliminates hand watering, which can be so tiresome.
This type of irrigation is known to conserve up to 50% of water compared to another irrigation system like overhead spray. This translates to less water bill.
This drip irrigation kit waters precisely where the water is needed, and that is at the roots of the plant. This makes it ideal for farming without aiding weed growth.
WHAT WE LIKED
WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE
4. KORAM 100-Feet 1/4" Blank Distribution Tubing Irrigation Kit
Water-saving irrigation techniques are now the rave, given the rising costs of living. You need to save every bit of that money you make even when it comes to gardening. Water-wise gardening systems like soaker hose and drip irrigation system are now the in thing.
This drip system model is a great option for anyone with a 20-25 square meter irrigation area. Besides, it is an ideal fit for flowerbeds, greenhouses, hanging baskets as well as flowers or potted plants. As for installation, its user manual will be of great help and their no complexity in it all.
As for watering, you can always customize each of its nozzles for individual watering of each plant. This way each plant receives the right amount of water according to its own need. Moreover, it can also meet the water needs of the different plants at once.
In addition, it has two kinds of faucet connectors, threaded faucet connector and a universal one. This makes the connection very easy, no hassles. Also, remember to put the hose and its connected part in hot water for about 10-minutes before assembly. This makes its use easier and as it cools down the tube stays tight.
Therefore, if you are looking to buy one of these systems, then this model should be in your top list. It comes with everything you need for installation and has very durable parts. So you can rely on it to last for a while.
TOP 3 FEATURES
- Saves Water
- Easy Installation
You can now customize and expand your drip irrigation system with ease, with additional tubing, fittings, and feeder lines so that it can fit your garden and planting design.
This system can save up to 65% of water when compared to using a manual system of watering. This is because it delivers water by precision to the root-zone of the plant.
It will not take you ages to set up this watering unit, as it does not require any plumbing or digging skills. You will just be required to insert and remove small barbed fittings, and drippers.
WHAT WE LIKED
WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE
5. Flantor Garden Irrigation System, ¼-Inch Blank Distribution Tubing Watering Drip Kit
If you are looking for an affordable piece of plant watering system, then here is an ideal choice from Flantor. It is the ideal fit for watering your garden greenhouse, lawn, patio, and flowerbed. It will not take you loads of time to set up but will save you loads of watering time as well as energy.
Moreover, it comes with every piece of item you need for the installation, plus a user manual that will ease the whole process. The rest is easy, as you will only need to turn ON the tap when you want to water.
In case of any leaks, you should check your faucet surface, as it might be too smooth for comfort. You can fix this smooth faucet by wrapping a piped seal tape around it before installation. There is nothing technical about owning, using and even maintaining this drip irrigation kit.
In addition, every water nozzles in this drip kit can be individually adjusted to suit your watering needs. This means that every plant will get the right amount of water or the amount it needs.
Therefore, if you want to conserve some water, as you reduce your water bill here is one drip system for you. It can also be an automatic watering system if you integrate a timer to it. So think about it, it does not cost much.
TOP 3 FEATURES
- Simple Installation
Even though this drip irrigation kit does not come with a timer, you can always buy one separately in order to automate it to water your plants while you are away for work or leisure.
This kit comes with a convenient user manual that you can use for installation. Nonetheless, the whole process is very easy, as it does not require you to have plumbing or digging skills.
As much as this watering system will help keep your plants well hydrated. It is also friendly on the pocket. It does not cost much, even though it will help save your water, its bill as well as time and energy.
WHAT WE LIKED
WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE
Selecting the Best Drip Irrigation Components
Before you buy a drip irrigation kit for your gardening and landscape you, should consider its components and buy the one with some of the best. Here are some of the important components of a drip kit you should always pay attention to, while you are out shopping.
- Self-Flushing Feature-As much as all drip irrigation system has filters for protecting them against dust and different kinds of debris. You should still pick an emitter system with a self-flushing feature. This way it can flush out any kind of accumulated debris that the filter might have missed. In the end, you get to have a clean system all the time, for better longevity.
- Pressure Compensating Irrigation Emitters-Irrigation emitters are very important when it comes to the proper functioning of the drip system.
- Therefore, when you are choosing them, make sure you go for the pressure compensating ones. This is because such an emitter is designed in a manner that it will deliver the same rate or amount of water flow through the whole system. It does not matter if it is the first or last emitter within the hose.
- As a result, you get to water your plants better, by ensuring that they all receive the precise and required amount of water no matter their location in your garden.
- Micro-Sprayers-These are highly convenient due to their small size. After all, who wants tubing running all over their garden space or landscape. However, when you opt for micro-sprayers then you will have to install the main water supply against your house and put the micro-sprayers in the garden. You can cover the tubes with mulch for invisibility.
- Built-In Check Valves-You should know that some drip emitters often come with built-in check valves. This feature is what helps the system to come ON and shut OFF at the same time. This makes it very important when choosing an emitter, as it can prevent back siphoning.
- Bubblers-Bubblers can ease your drip irrigation gardening, as they will allow for versatility when it comes to watering. I hope by now you know that patios and decks can also make use of this water-wise watering system. In which case, you just place the main drip line under the deck or on the patio. The plant pots will each have a very small tube with an installed bubbler for efficient watering.
Benefits of a Drip Irrigation System
If you are still not convinced that a drip irrigation system is among the best kinds of irrigation systems next to soaker hose, then here are some top benefits.
- It provides a direct connection to hose spigot without cutting into the home water line
- This system ensures that evaporation and overspray of water are minimal, by directing water to the root-zone of the plants. This way you save on water costs or irrigate for lower costs
- Very flexible in terms of set-up, this means that it will not bother you even as your plants grow and spread
- You can customize this system to fit your flowerbeds, shrubs, vegetable rows and even containers and baskets with plants
- It is so gentle and precise when it comes to watering, as it slowly emits water into your plants thus preventing any soil erosion or run-offs
- Prevents waterlogged environments that often provides room for fungal diseases
- By distributing water where it is needed, drip irrigation system does not in any way encourage weed growth
How to Install a Drip Irrigation System
As by now, you are familiar with drip irrigation system and its benefits. The question is how do you install it? Do you need some level of expertise or professional help? Well here is how you can manage to do the installation solo.
- Tape measure
- A hose bob or a Y-shaped hose connector (for the faucet)
- A pressure regulator or a backflow valve
- Hose thread adapters
- A water garden hose, one that is 15-25 or 50-foot
- A battery operated timer for your drip system
- Emitter lines, 1/8-inch plastic tubing for running from the main line to the emitters
- Emitters, you can get 1-2 per plant or space them 10-18-inches apart
- Assorted connectors, Tees or T-shaped and elbows or right angles
- The main drip lines for irrigation can be a ¼-inch plastic tube that you can cut with some scissors
The Installation Process of a Drip Irrigation System
- If you are a beginner in gardening or using drip irrigation system then a flowerbed on a terrace or a vegetable garden that is laid out in rows would be perfect. You can also use this watering system for the shrubs surrounding your house.
- You can then proceed to determine your choice of water source for the drip system. An outdoor faucet can do, provided you have a Y-shaped valve hose connector. This way, you get to attach one arm to a garden hose that will supply water to your drip watering system and the other can be left for other watering needs. Take note that the Y bottom is the one that attaches to the faucet.
- The next step requires precise and accurate measurements of your garden, the plants you plan to water as well as how far they are planted. This is because each plant will have to get its own emitter. This is a tiny sprinkler most often a slow drip or a bubbler. Each of these emitters will be attached to the water source via drip irrigation lines. You can opt to put two water emitters for plants that often require loads of water to thrive.
- You should gather some of your tools for preparation before you start installing your system. You will likely need a battery-operated timer, to set and automate your watering whenever. A pressure regulator or a backflow valve is also needed to prevent any water from backing up, as this can ruin your home plumbing system. Hose adapters and fertilizer injectors can also come in handy. There are also optional items like filters to keep the debris and rust out of your system drip line.
- After gathering your items close-by, you can proceed to assemble the drip lines by laying the tubing in the sun to soften it, for easier maneuverability and set-up. Use your scissors to cut the ¼-inch tubing and push its ends into the connectors, this way you extend the lines to the plants. You can then use the 1/8-inch water embitters lines to connect the main lines to the emitters.
- By here, you have done quite a good job. You can now connect the water flow from the faucet to your drip watering system in this order. The Y-connector, the timer, the pressure regulator, hose thread-adapter, garden hose and then another hose thread adapter and lastly the drip irrigation line. In the end, your water supply system is linked to your drip system main line, the ¼-inch line.
- Proceed to test after the connection, by toggling the Y-shaped connector switch. This way water runs from the faucet to your system. Set timer to manual then turn it ON. Turn ON the tap. If everything is per the book, you will see the emitters spouting like tiny fountains. You can adjust water emission by adjusting flow from the tap. Keep an eye on the water emitters, they should not look as though they are straining, bursting or just flat in terms of water flow.
- Check for leaks by turning OFF the timer and keeping the faucet ON. The water will stop running. This way you can ensure that there is no leakage between the faucet and the other connected equipment. Any sign of leakage means that you are using a wrong adapter. You should always have a hose type threading and not a pipe type threading. Nonetheless, any leaks that occur around connectors or emitters can be easily fixed with tape.
- After you are done with checking for any leakage and making the repair if needed, you can set your timer for at least 20-minutes on a daily basis. You can experiment with different amounts of timing when it comes to watering, for a while until you find the best amount of timing that can keep your plants well hydrated.
Some Tips for Beginners
- If you find it hard or boring to pierce a bunch of tubes, plastic for that matter then you can buy a complete drip irrigation system for your garden, hanging baskets or potted plants. You can do research on some best companies that sell the complete set, before making your purchase.
- You can also look for alternatives to drip irrigation like a soaker hose with an impact sprinkler system. It is available in 25 or 50 feet. This porous hose can be snaked around flower borders, shrubs, and roses. You can hide it with mulch. Besides, its far end is always capped and the watering is great and very deep, in terms of keeping the plants hydrated.
- However, you will still need to buy a pressure regulator or a back-flow valve to prevent water from backing up into your house. An added timer can also help keep everything simplified.
How to Maintain Your Drip Irrigation System?
Once you are done with the installation process, you can familiarize yourself with its maintenance. Just like your garden or potted plants, the drip irrigation system needs to be checked regularly for optimal performance and longevity in use.
Here are some top maintenance tips to get you started:
- Always clean or replace its filters on a regular basis for better water flow
- You can check soil wetness at the plant root depth, this way you make water adjustments as required in terms of schedule and pressure
- Check its battery-powered timer and make the replacement as required
- You should also inspect the emitters for any blockage or leaks
- Occasionally, you should drain the water lines, especially if you live in a cold place as freezing temperatures can cause some serious damage to the lines. You can use a compressor for the draining. Just open the lowest part of it and let gravity work its magic.
If you are looking for an economical and time-saving plant watering system, pick drip irrigation. It is simple to install, use and even maintain, but you have to prepare for it. Otherwise, everything is likely to flop.Therefore, if you are in the shop for a better watering system, the above information is likely to help you on your way to better gardening. You can always opt for any of the above five drip kits, they are from reputable brands in the gardening world, and some are a great fit for newbie gardeners.