Watering is the most basic requirement for every lawn and garden. In some cases the right amount of water may never get to the plants without a form of specialized equipment like a glade sprinkler, or garden hose. To make sure you have the right products at your disposal, we reviewed many different hoses.
After carefully reviewing a range of different hoses, our experts rated Briggs and Stratton 8BS100 as the best rubber garden hose available in stores today.
Briggs & Stratton hoses is a heavy-duty hose which is very easy to handle. It retains its flexibility even on extreme cold and can also withstand water temperatures of up to 200oF.
Briggs and Stratton Rubber Garden Hose
|VIEW ON AMAZON →READ REVIEWS →|
Craftsman Premium Rubber Garden Hose
|VIEW ON AMAZONREAD REVIEWS →|
Apache 98108809 Rubber Hose
|VIEW ON AMAZONREAD REVIEWS →|
Dramm 17006 ColorStorm Rubber Garden Hose
|VIEW ON AMAZONREAD REVIEWS →|
Teknor Apex Neverkink Rubber Hose
|VIEW ON AMAZONREAD REVIEWS →|
Top 5: Best Rubber Garden Hoses
For garden owners and garden keepers, these selected products will enhance your professional proficiency in vine dressing. We are optimistic that your curiosity is more than just looking at our exciting products but learning more about individual hoses in detail.
Excitingly, We have considered the disadvantages and advantages of some gardening hose and reviewed them comprehensively. Waste no time in choosing from the variety of options to suit your needs.
1. Briggs and Stratton Rubber Garden Hose
- 100-feet length
- Crush-proof heavy duty couplings
The Briggs and Stratton 8BS100 is our top pick among the rubber garden hose reviewed. It’s a heavy duty hose that is 5/8-inch in diameter for optimum sprinkling. Built with a sturdy 100% durable rubber cover which is flexible even at extreme temperature.
This hoses does not cause pain during handling and can withstand cold temperatures to -25oF and hot water up to 200oF.
Briggs and stratton garden hose is really useful for both large and small garden because of its flexibility and length. The hose is simple to use and easy to clean. Coil after the day’s use, wash with soap and water.
Coated with Nickel plate crush-proof coupling, which makes the Briggs and Stratton hose unique for a large hectare of garden.
Unlike other garden hose, the Briggs and Stratton hose is a heavy duty for maximum sprinkling speed, handling convenience and safety.
TOP 2 FEATURES
The Nickel-plated heavy-duty rubber hose boosts the sprinkling speed of the garden hoses. Very flexible at a cold and hot temperature.
It was designed with a rubber washer to enhance watertight connections which make it suitable for commercial, residential and recreational use.
Generally, the Briggs and Stratton has a flexible, long and 100% rubber which is suited for all irrigation purposes.
2. Craftsman Rubber Garden Hose
Craftsman rubber is a premium grade garden hose that comes with a size of 5/8-inch by 50 feet. It has a strong resistant to kink.
Designed with a brass fitting coupling material which is crush resistant with a burst pressure of 500 psi.
It has a dimension of 6 × 12 × 12 inches with a concave hexagonal shape and length of 50 feet.
If what you are looking for is high-quality, then you can’t be wrong with this Craftsman garden hose. The reinforced crush-proof brass coupler ensures that what you have is a workhorse of a hose.
The Craftsman rubber garden hose is designed to be long lasting and reliable due to the high tendency to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
TOP 2 FEATURES
- Sprinkling Power
It comes with a tire cord that has a reinforced radial which enhances longevity, reliability and provides a single stream for bursting pressure up to 500 psi.
This garden rubber hose coated with crush-proof brass coupler and a concave hexagonal shape for durability.The garden hose can withstand temperatures from -25oF up to 160oFand has a size of 5/8 inches x 50 feet.
3. Apache 98108809 Rubber Hose
- Contractors industrial water/garden hose
- 100 Percent rubber, heavy-duty MGHT x FGHT solid brass couplings and one bend restrictor
Apache hose is an industrial water hose that is assembled with garden hose thread fittings with a size of 3/4″ x 100′.
Apache design is from 100% rubber and has a heavy-duty MGHT x FGHT solid brass couplings and a bend restrictor. Its heavy-duty nature has enhanced the resistance to bending and promotes longer life.
Apache 98108809 hose is a heavy duty hose, guaranteed to keep its structure even if you use a reel along with it. It is by far one of the toughest water garden hose out there.
Although it’s not recommended for anyone who needs to move the hose around for long periods, it’s still capable of delivering constant water flow even in severe drought conditions.
Apache’s hose are well built and should last for years. This hose is heavy(with an approximate weight of 38 pounds). The heavy nature is a small price to pay for a quality rubber material that doesn’t kink under heavy usage.
TOP 2 FEATURES
Coated with all-brass for crush-resistant and. It has a strong resistance to sunlight, abrasion, kinking and cracking which makes it flexible even at freezing temperatures.
Designed for industrial and garden purposes with a length of 100 feet. This hoses can be used to transport hot water. It has a dimension of 16.6 × 16.5 × 9.5 inches, and a weight of 31.
4. Dramm 17006 ColorStorm Premium Hose
- Premium quality rubber hose
- Hot water resistant up to 160 Degree F
Dramm watering hose is a garden rubber hose with a size of 50-Feet in length by 5/8-Inch in diameter. It’s the best choice for greenhouse and nursery growers worldwide.
High-grade quality materials were used in the manufacture of this exciting and standard product to enhance the shelf life.
The Dramm premium rubber garden hose is fitted with nickel-plated couplings to ensure it’s crushproof and resistant to kinking. The state of the art sure grip technology makes the hose very easy and comfortable to handle.
The walls of the Dramm hose are thick enough to withstand heavy vehicles running over them. With a brass fitting construction like those found in a hydraulic crimp, a burst rate of over 500 psi and working pressure of 120 psi is guaranteed.
TOP 2 FEATURES
Dramm garden hoses is a premium rubber quality hose that has resistance to hot water, kinking up to a temperature of 160oF. It is also crushproof and coated with Nickel-plated couplings. Has a power rating of over 500 psi burst and 120-125 psi of working pressure
It was designed with a length of 50 feet by 5/8 inch in diameter, dimensions of 60 × 0.6 × 0.6 inches, that weighs 9.8lb. Available in six brilliant colors i.e red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and berry
Constructed using brass and nickel plated fittings to thicken the wall of the Hose. This in turn has the desired effect of withstanding the impact of vehicles running over it.
5. Teknor Apex Kink Free Rubber Hose
- Reflex Mesh helps prevent no kinks or tangles
- Heavy gauge Power Coil
The Teknor Apex became the first US producer to construct a kink free hose where a Non-Torsion System(a patented technology called NTS) was featured. Suitable for farm and ranches because of its length of a 100-feet.
The strip that runs the length of every hose is translucent, which reveals its Neverkink ability solves most consumer complains of kinking.
Neverkink hose has a patented mesh technology that spans the length of the hose so that tangles and kinking reduce significantly.
For maximum safety, the couplings made from lead-free aluminum will not corrode or rust. Water tests for lead(Pb) from this hose reveal negative results.
Crushproof to about 1400 pounds the Neverkink hose is flexible enough for easy handling and maneuverability.
TOP 2 FEATURES
The Teknor Apex Neverkink is guaranteed not to tangle or Kink. It comes with a power coil to relieve strain, prevents faucet kinking and has a heavy gauge and a high strength aluminum couplings to prevent leakage.
It contains antibacterial protection and micro shield to prevent mildew and mold. Flexibility is retained even down to a temperature of 45oF. Water transported by this hose is fit for human consumption.
It has a diameter of 5/8 and 3/4-Inch and length of 50, 75 and 100-Feet with dimensions of 15 x 5.8 x 15 inches and a weight of 14.99lbs. It comes in black color.
Rubber Garden Hoses Buyers Guide – Things to Consider
Interestingly, making the right choice may be difficult and confusing. With this in mind, we decided to write a simple buyers guide to ease your choice of selecting from our top 5 garden hoses.
A good rubber garden hose will benefit the user in many ways. They are easy to handle, safe, uniquely designed and easy to operate with ultimate sprinkling precision and proficiency.
How to Choose the Right Garden Hose?
Hoses are an important piece of garden equipment. Even if your lawn stretches across large hectares of land or small patio gardens there is a need for a good rubber hose.
Matching Hose Types to Your Needs
- Choose a Vinyl hose for easy handling: Whether you live in a cold region and wish to use this hose to sprinkle your garden or lawn, vinyl hose is always a good option. Vinyl hoses have great advantages such as being light and easy to handle. They are cost-effective and a good choice for water sprinkling with reinforced ability.
- Choose a rubber hose for high durability: Rubber hoses are long and easy to handle, they are suitable for extremely cold and hot temperatures, resist kinks and tangles, ergonomic, long lasting, coated with materials to prevent corrosion and wear, cost-effective and serve the purpose due to its heavy-duty nature.
- Settle for a reinforced rubber hose for commercial purposes: If you wish to use a hose commercially, or if there is a lot of equipment in your yard, sharp objects or furniture, the reinforced rubber hoses is the best option. They are produced from several layers of material and an outside mesh to cover it which protects against punctures and snag.
- Strength: This relates to its durability a little bit, but what it actually states is the burst pressure. This is with regard to how much water pressure it can actually hold, as some tend to burst more than others do. A minimum burst of 350 psi is recommended but it all boils down to what you are watering or your watering needs.
- Use an Industrial rubber hose if you will utilize hot water frequently: Industrial hoses are made of rubber and are resistant to abrasion which offers a high burst strength suitable for extreme hot temperature.
- Opt for a soaker or sprinkler hose for regular lawn watering: Water will reach the surrounding lawn and garden through leaking hoses evenly spaced. The perforated sides of the sprinkler on the ground faces upward to shoot water into the air. Lay the perforated side of the soaker hoses on the ground facing downwards or sideways to trickle water into the soil.
- Select an expandable rubber hose for light watering: When water is running through expandable hoses, it stretches out, and shrink when not in use to a smaller size. They fit well in small spaces and are ideal for sprinkling water. However, it should be fully drained after daily use to avoid susceptibility to tearing and punctures.
- Choose a rubber hose with antimicrobial protection: Some garden hose inhabits the growth of microorganisms such as yeast, fungus, bacteria and mold. This kind of hose is rated safe for humans and it should be selected for use when filling your swimming pool because of its protection from microbial activities.
Considering Length, Diameter, and Overall Quality
- Select a suitable hose length based on the intended use: Ideally a rubber garden hoses should have a length range of between 10 feet (3.0 m) to 100 feet (30 m) and above. A short hose of about 25 feet (7.6m) is recommended for small acres of grass or flower garden to sprinkle water over it. Also a long rubber garden hoses of 100 feet (30m) is recommended for large acres of land. There is a high possibility of connecting two hoses to reach a distance exceeding 100 feet (30m).
- Required pressure determined the diameter: A rubber hose of diameter 1⁄2 inch (1.3 cm) is capable of delivering about 34 Liters (9 gallons) of water per minute which will suffice to water lawn and garden. Similarly, a rubber hose of diameter 5⁄8 inch (1.6 cm) delivers about 64 Liters (17 gallons) of water per minute while a rubber hose with a 3⁄4 inch (1.9 cm) diameter delivers about 87 liters (23 gallons) of water per minute. If the diameter is wide, the pressure reduces over distance, because pressure is a direct function of area.
- Choose cast brass fittings. Rubber hose coated with crush-proof fittings are very important as a garden hose. Avoid fitting damage by using a cast brass over a stamped brass.
- Select a brass nozzle to reduce leaks. The sprinkling of water is enhanced by attaching a nozzle to the end of the hose. A strong stream of water and a fine spray comes out by twisting the nozzle. Rubber hoses fitted with a brass nozzle will last longer, and are more flexible for watering.
- Check for kinks by bending the hose before purchase. Unroll the rubber hose to about 2 feet (0.61 m) and bend it to equal halves. Several hoses are tag as kink-free, but they are not. Test several hoses to see how simple they will bend, this will indicate whether it’s kink-free or not.
Caring for your Rubber Garden Hose
- To reduce damage store your hose on a reel. The hose is coiled on a reel to prevent it from kinking or bending. Reels ought to be mounted on a wall or stand on a cart alone so that it can move around the garden. Reels are readily available in the same shop with garden hoses.
- For areas with temperature dip below freezing, drain all water from the hose before the first frost. Empty all the water under gravity by elevating one end on an object (picnic table) and the other hose end on the ground.
- During winter keep your rubber hose indoors to prevent shrinkage of the material that may lead to cracks. Basement or a garage is the ideal place to keep the rubber hose until warmer weather set-in.
How to Use Rubber Garden Hose for the First Time?
An authentic hose ought to be from premium rubber. Premium rubber can reform the coil that has taken a different shape because of the packaging process. Remove the memory feature to prevent kinks and knots.
- Connect one end of the hose to the tap.
- The other end of the hose is stretched out from the tap in a straight line.
- Cover the gun or nozzle at the end of the hose to prevent water from escaping.
- Fill the hose with water by turning on the tap, turn off the tap after that.
- Allow the hose to get filled with water, and let it stay under the sun for up to 2 days (depending on climatic conditions)
- That will remove any shape-memory present in the hose from it, thereby making it easier to handle.
- We recommended that you store the hose either on a hook large loops or a reel.
Coiling a Rubber Hose
- Proper coiling of the hose will prolong its life, this is simply done by turning off the tap.
- Hold the hose few meters away from the tap.
- When using a hose of about 1m, bend it in a large loop.
- Form a loop by moving 30 – 40cm away from the tap connector, another loop is formed which will be stacked on top the first loop.
- Repeat the above procedure until you coil the entire hose.
Note: We highly recommend using a stowaway or hose reel.
Quality rubber garden hoses are the safest for humans. Most will not be damaged if run by cars or humans. Rubber hoses are the best hose for multiple purposes because of their numerous features. We have tried to list the most important features we think will help you make an informed decision. Follow our buyers guide to choose from the best rubber garden hoses we have in review for you, at affordable prices.