How to Remove Troy Bilt Trimmer Head?
Knowing how to remove the trimmer head from a Troy-Bilt trimmer can help you get trimming jobs done in time. But why remove the trimmer head? For two reasons:
1. In case of damage. If the trimmer head is damaged you will need to replaceit with a new one
2. Secondly, Troy-Bilt manufactures a universal trimmer head that is used to cut grass and a cutter blade attachment can tackle tougher branches. The trimmer head and the cutter head attach differently to the trimmer. So you ought to know how to quickly remove the string trimmer to attach the cutter blade.
Without wasting much time, let’s quickly dive in on the procedures required to remove troy bilt trimmer head and replace with a bush cutter:
Read more: The Best Gas Hedge Trimmers
1. Getting Started
To get started, ensure that the trimmer cools down after use. Place the trimmer on a flat surface. A workbench or table is ok. The trimmer head must be pointing upwards.
2. Inserting the locking Rod
If you buy a new Troy-Bilt trimmer, it should come with a locking rod. Insert the straight end of this locking rod into the slot provided for by the trimmer. You can find the locking slot beneath the trimmer head.
Alternatively you can use a wrench instead of a locking rod if you don’t have one. Just place the wrench into the hole to lock it up. Near the trimmer head, just close to the shaft, hold down the locking rod or wrench in place with one hand.
3. Remove Trimmer Head
With the other hand free, hold on to the trimmer head and twist it in a clockwise motion to remove the head.
4. Unscrew the cutting attachment
Unscrew the cutting attachment by using a flat head screwdriver. After removing the trimmer head, the screws that hold the cutting attachment is revealed. Turn the screws anticlockwise to remove them. Place the cutting attachment aside for storage.
5. Installing the brush cutter
This is not a peculiar step to take. Are you changing the trimmer head because you want to replace it with something new or you want to change it because you need to use a brush cutter? Do the reverse to replace with new trimmer head.
To replace with a brush cutter: Place the brush cutter on the shaft and then screw back the nuts.
6. Screw-in the Cutter Blade
After screwing in the cutter blade, place back the locking rod or the wrench you used into the locking hole. This should just be under the brush cutter. Use the rod or wrench to hold it in position. Lastly, use the right sized wrench to tighten the nut in place.
Read more: How to Edge With a String Trimmer?
Removing the SpeedSpool from Troy-Bilt TB525ES
Like many Troy-Bilt trimmers out there, the TB525ES comes with a SpeedSpool head that allows you to easily replace the spool with a new trimmer. Although, it’s not necessary to remove the trimmer head and replace with pre-cut trimmer lengths, many users remove the spool for the singular reason of cleaning it up.
Removing the spool is a very easy process that even a novice to power tools can do in no time. Just follow the laid down steps below:
1. For safety reasons, remove the spark plug before attempting to remove the spool. This will help prevent accidentally switching on the machine.
2. With your left hand, get a hold of the Speedspool head. Then located the bump head at the center of the spool and turn it counterclockwise to remove it.
3.Finally remove all peripheral items like the bump head, foam seal and interior spring. Also take out the inner reel before you attempt to replace the spool loaded with pre-wound string.
Precautions to follow
1. Before removing trimmer heads and SpeedSpool always ensure you take out the spark plugs.
2. Allow the engine of the trimmer cool down if it was used before attempting to remove the head.
Whether you need to remove the trimmer head because it was damaged or you need to use a brush cutter, as long as you follow the procedures outlined in this guide you will do just fine.