Who needs a 4 cycle trimmer? With 2-cycle models and electric alternatives, it may feel like a waste.
Well, it isn’t. The other way around, it is the best type of trimmer you can get.
The advantage of a 4-stroke trimmer is how powerful it is without losing any of their ease of use. It also requires no mixing of oil and gasoline. And what’s even better, a four-cycle trimmer is also quieter, contaminates less, and makes fuel last longer.
Seizing your grass-trimming needs with a 4-stroke machine like this will be a blast. Given you choose the right one – you’ll have no complaint to make!
But to pick appropriately, you’ll have to know what’s available out there. We want to help you identify that with our reviews below. Check them up!
6 Best 4-Cycle Trimmers Reviews in 2021
|Southland SWFT15022 Field Trimmer||• Heavy duty 5.75 ft./lbs torque, 150 cc engine|
• 22" cutting swath
|Remington RM1159 Walk-Behind String Trimmer||• 159cc OHV GAS ENGINE|
• 22-INCH CUTTING SWATH
|Husqvarna 324L Gas String Trimmer||• 25cc 4-cycle engine which powers the 18 inch (cutting width) trimmer head|
• Maximum power speed- 7000 rpm
|Craftsman CMXGTAMD30SA String Trimmer and Brushcutter||• LESS NOISE AND OPERATOR FATIGUE|
• STRAIGHT SHAFT AND FIXED LINE HEAD
|Wild Badger Power Sunseeker WBP31BCF Trimmer with Brush Cutter||• Powerful 31cc 4-cycle full crank quick start engine|
• 17 in. cutting swath
|Ryobi RY4CSS Gas Trimmer||• 18 in. cutting width for faster trimming|
• Straight shaft for extended reach
To find these trimmers, we researched for several hours, picked the ones that performed the best in users’ eyes, and then reviewed each one accordingly.
After endless hours of research and figuring out the ins-and-outs of each one, here’s what we found:
1. Southland SWFT15022 Field Trimmer
No products found.
There’s nothing like a cart-like trimmer to push across your yard, cut the grass swiftly, and finish minutes later without a single drop of sweat coming down your face.
Does that sound like a dream?
Well, it doesn’t have to be. The SWFT15022 from Southland makes trimming your lawn effortlessly possible thanks to a 150cc engine with 5.75 feet/pound of torque.
This engine is put over a pair of 12-inch wheels. At 50 pounds of weight and an anti-vibration handle, maneuvering will be a no-brainer.
No products found.
But it’s not only about mobility but accessibility. A folding handle makes it a piece of cake to store. And with the manual recoil, starting the engine won’t be much of a problem.
Be aware, this is a 22-inch swath trimmer that uses 0.155-inch trimmer lines (quad).
You’re getting the whole package of power, practicality, and ease of use. There’s simply no competitor.
- Potent motor increases cutting power
- Fantastic quad-line ensures density capacity
- Sufficient swath for quick trimming
- Moves around with ease
2. Remington RM1159 Walk-Behind String Trimmer
No products found.
If you want a trimmer that does everything, the RM1159 will be the closest thing you’ll find.
It starts with a 22-inch swath. Such cutting capacity will help you reduce even the thickest of grasses. Either small or large jobs will be easy-peasy for this machine.
To make it even better, you can enjoy an off-set trimmer head. This increases the number of places you can use it, giving you the chance to cut in narrow spaces with no problem.
No products found.
This also happens thanks to a gigantic OHV engine, boasting 159cc of power that gives the line incredible power.
Apart from its cutting capacity, it’s still a surprisingly comfortable machine. Boasting 14-inch wheels, you can move it pretty much anywhere without wasting any effort.
And if all that wasn’t enough, it comes with a folding handle that increases space allowance. Storing it won’t cost a single drop of sweat.
- Unbeatable engine power
- Wide swath for quick cutting
- Super-large wheels for easy maneuvering
- Small trimmer head for extra versatility
- The trimmer head gets filled with buildup fast
3. Husqvarna 324L Gas String Trimmer
- Features a 25cc 4-cycle engine which powers the 18 inch (cutting width) trimmer head
- Trimmer engine runs on unleaded gas, requiring no mixing of fuel and oil
Don’t want any surprises with your trimmer? Then look no further.
A Husqvarna 324L trimmer does everything you could ever expect one to do.
First, it is a powerful machine. It comes with a high-end gas engine, Honda-powered, and ready to handle the densest of grasses. It is a 25cc engine, perfectly designed to achieve 7,000 RPM and 0.9 HP per operation. That should be enough to cut through any amount of vegetation at any moment.
Second, it is super-handy. You get a Smart trimmer technology that helps you turn on the machine by pulling the cord a lot less than you would any other trimmer. This pairs up with the practical translucent fuel tank, an air-removal purge primer bulb, and a Tap ‘N Go line-releasing function.
And third, it is incredibly versatile. The straight shaft and the engine weigh as little as 5 pounds only. Given you’re an adult, using it won’t be any problem.
- Extra-long and far-reaching for versatility
- Allows for extra-quick line changes
- Starts with little to no effort
- Sufficiently robust for any vegetation
- Has a small tank that empties fast
4. Craftsman CMXGTAMD30SA String Trimmer and Brushcutter
- STRAIGHT SHAFT AND FIXED LINE HEAD: Straight shaft design makes it easier to trim around bushes and hard to reach places. Fixed-line head is designed for 0.95" CMX tri-color round line.
- 2-STEP STARTING: Advanced 2-step and easy-start technology simplifies starting to just prime and pull allowing the operator to tackle yard work, lawn care, and other projects right away.
Tired of loud trimmers making your grass-cutting jobs an annoyance? The CMXGTAMD30SA from Craftsman can solve that.
Boasting 30cc of engine power, this 4-stroke machine can handle practically any vegetation. The major benefit? It makes little to no noise, so you can trim ahead without a single worry.
Starting the machine is also a blast, as it uses a 2-step system that makes it easy and more secure—no false starts with this trimmer.
The whole design is surprisingly comfortable as well. A rubberized handle, a straight shaft, and a magnificent weight of only 18 pounds set it apart from the competition.
It works with 0.095-inch lines and can hold 20 feet per head. This should be enough to last several cutting operations before you need to reload.
- Super-powerful for a string trimmer
- Cuts away any type of yard vegetation
- Surprisingly light and easy to operate
- Allows easy yet secure starts
- Eats up cutting lines quick
5. Wild Badger Power Sunseeker WBP31BCF Trimmer with Brush Cutter
- 【2 in 1 Multi-function】The Wild Badger Power 31CC trimmer Multi-Tool has a grass trimmer attachment for detail work along orders and a brush cutter blade for heavier grasses and brush clearing, It also includes a harness to relieve the strain on your arms and improve stability.
- 【Powerful engine】 The grass trimmer adopt commercial grade 31cc full crank 4-cycle engine , engine life tested for 100+ hours and has double the life versus half crank engines. The full crank design delivers a fast start and smooth operation reducing emissions, increasing fuel efficiency and delivering longer life.
Don’t want to spend a fortune on a trimmer but still want high quality? The Sunseeker WBP31BCF from Wild Badger is what you need.
The significant advantage of this machine is the combination of tools. You get a trimmer and a brush cutter in the same product. You’ll have the chance to reduce the grass in your lawn as well as shape up your hedges to your desire.
There’s a lot more to enjoy, though, like its 31cc engine. It comes with a quick-start system so you can get to work right away. The engine also works uninterruptedly and boasts an aluminum casing in the suspension, reducing vibration exponentially.
As for the shaft, you get a straight system designed to reduce vibrations more effectively, weigh only 15 pounds, and feel super-comfy on your hands.
Last but not least, you can enjoy the 17-inch cutting swath and the auto-feed twin-line system. It will help you get difficult and easy jobs done in less time than you expect.
- Delivers an outstanding amount of power
- It is effortless to carry with its light design
- Offers sufficient swath for most operations
- Starts right away with little effort
- Comes with an uncomfortable harness
6. Ryobi RY4CSS Gas Trimmer
No products found.
Give yourself a chance with a high-quality trimmer. What better option than the Ryobi RY4CSS?
Being light at only 15 pounds, featuring a straight shaft for extra reach, and a comfy handle design allows you to operate it effortlessly.
It is a sufficiently potent machine at 30cc of engine capacity. The 18-inch swathe matches well, making it possible to cut thick vegetation even more easily.
No products found.
One exciting part of the tool is the protective trimmer head. It is a bit wider than other models, increasing the safety of the piece while using.
And to set it apart, even more, you get a practical line-reloading feature. A cranking attachment helps you feed the line with little effort when it’s time. This saves you tons of effort eventually.
- Boasts an extended shaft for extra reach
- Sufficient power for any trimming job
- Excellent swath despite its size
- Reloads cutting line effortlessly
- Consumes a lot of gasoline
How to Choose the Right 4-Stroke Trimmer?
Did you check our trimmers? What did you find? Oh, you’re a bit confused? Don’t worry, we have the solution.
Learning about trimmers in-depth may give you a better idea of what to go for. This section explains exactly what to consider and how you can fit a trimmer to your demands. Check it out:
- Types of Trimmers
There are two main types of trimmers: shaft and walk-behind.
As the name says, shaft trimmers use a pole as the body. This pole is typically 59 inches long. The focus is to make it easy for an average-height person to get the cutting head close to the grass.
What sets a shaft trimmer apart is the ability to reach difficult areas where other trimmers can, like narrow spaces between plants or the top of bushes.
A walk-behind trimmer, on the other hand, works more like a mower. It boasts two wheels that help it glide across a yard. The trimmer head is slightly larger than a shaft model and often provides a lot more power. Using it takes little effort but limits versatility exponentially.
- Engine Power
There’s probably nothing more critical after the type of trimmer than the power it offers.
Because we’re talking about 4-cycle trimmers powered by gas, you can expect a lot of power. But it’s not always the case.
As a general rule, go for trimmers with no less than 20cc of engine displacement (enough to cut light grass). For the best results, get a trimmer with 50cc (best price/performance ratio). High-power models can offer up to 150cc or more (ideal for high-density grass cutting).
- Trimmer Head & Cutting Swathe
The trimmer head is a vital part of the trimmer. It refers to the part where the cutting line is located.
Here, it’s wise to go for the broadest trimmer possible. A trimmer with 17 inches of swathe should suffice for most jobs. But if you want a smooth experience, go for swaths of no less than 22 inches.
At the same time, go for cutting heads with protection and auto-feeding line systems. A grass cover prevents clippings from going your way. And auto-feeding lines keep you from wasting time when reloading.
- Cutting Line
What type of trimmer line does the trimmer use? It’s important to know this because all trimmers work with different thicknesses.
The general thickness is 0.155 inches. However, it depends on the number of lines as well. Some trimmers use single-line, others use double lines, and others use quad lines. This will give you an idea of how they prefer (the more lines the trimmer offers, the denser the vegetation it can cut).
- Ease of Use & Comfort
There’s no point in getting a trimmer that eventually feels like a chore to use. Instead, it should be as pleasant as possible, so trimming your lawn is something you look up to.
For that, try to pick the most comfortable model possible. This often means low weight for less exhaustion, a comfortable handle, well-located controls, sufficiently handy adjustments, and an easy-to-start system. With that figured out, the trimmer won’t be a problem to use.
- Maneuverability & Portability
Alongside a comfy trimmer, you also want something that helps you maneuver with ease while still being a piece of cake to bring around.
Here, you should focus on trimmers that don’t weigh more than 50 pounds. At the same time, it should be as handy as possible, so you don’t have to carry it that much. That’s why walk-behind trimmers are often more portable.
Lastly, consider whether it can be stored with ease or occupy little space. The more practical the trimmer is when storing it, the better the experience you’ll have overall.
Straight Shaft Trimmer vs Curved Shaft Trimmer
When picking the deal trimmer, you’ll encounter a bit of a problem. Which one should you choose between a curved and shaft trimmer?
Here, we want to present a few factors to consider:
- A straight shaft is upright. There’s no bend across the pole. This makes them longer and more accurate.
- Curved shafts are bent. They have a bit of a curve which often reduces their length, making them lighter.
- Because straight shafts are longer, you can use them in situations where other short tools won’t work (e.g., tall bushes or under trees).
- Curved shafts being smaller are also a lot lighter, making it easy to maneuver, carry for hours, and even store.
- Comfort is more of a personal thing. But tall people often prefer straight shafts as they’re longer and allow them to trim grass without kneeling.
- Shorter people prefer curved shaft for the opposite reason: it allows them to reach grass without having to over-control the piece, trying not to hit the ground.
As you can see, it is more of a matter of preference and personal needs than everything. Make sure it’s something you will indeed get the most from, so you won’t be disappointed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Still have a doubt or two we didn’t answer before? Get comfy then. We’re going to answer the most common question below:
Is a 4-cycle trimmer better than a 2-cycle?
When it comes to performance, no. 2-cycle trimmers offer a bit more power given their motors are slightly larger. But when it comes to efficiency, environmental impact, and ease of use, a 4-stroke trimmer is way better. The power difference is not that much either, as 4-cycle trimmers have more torque.
What oil for 4 stroke weed eater?
Most weed eaters will tell you which type of oil works better. But in case it doesn’t, you can always default to 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil. Either way, the trimmer should function correctly, with little to no difference between these two.
Should you get a 4 stroke trimmer with attachments?
If you want maximum versatility, get a trimmer with attachments. Some models come with brush cutters, pole saw heads, edger heads, and even hedge trimmer heads.
How long does a four-stroke weed trimmer last?
It depends on the quality of the piece and how you use it. 4-stroke trimmers that are used every day tend to last a couple of years. Those that are occasionally used (every month or two) can last over 5 years up to a decade.
So, did you learn a thing or two about the best 4 cycle trimmer? We hope so!
There are tons of different options to pick out there, but nothing like the ones we review above.
Don’t let that grass grow. Pick one of the trimmers above and get to trimming right away! You won’t be disappointed!